Relocating bathroom water lines and sink drains in wall

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mdnagel

I'm working out final details on my water line re-plumb project (which has been on hold for over a couple of years now :oops:). Have decided that we'll be remodeling this home (was on the verge of building a new, conventional stick-built but things came up to nix that), so it's now on the front burner...

The only significant plumbing decisions remaining pertains to bathroom sink vanities. I've never liked that the drain line and water lines obstruct so much bottom shelf space. Further, the drain pipe is off to the far left side and most vanities assume they're in the center. So... I'd like to relocate the drain and water lines. If doing so then why not move them to inside the back/rear-facing wall?

Anyone do this and regret it or otherwise have any words of caution? (connections inside the wall accessible using an access panel)

Note that I have not yet investigated to see if there's any obstruction below this wall's stud bay. If there's anything there then it's all moot (and likely the best I can do is shift things side to side for better centering).
mdnagel

I suppose there's one other complication... the drain waste vent!

This isn't mine, but it's like it:

Is that an AVV (Air Admittance Valve)? I'm thinking so, in which case I wouldn't be able to put it in the wall (BUT, what if there's an access panel?)
mdnagel

Well, OK, image/picture function failed...

Assuming that I AM dealing with an AVV (pretty much sure), I'm now thinking that I could just recess it into the wall's stud bay/cavity and leave the front open to the back of the vanity (which will have ample access space).