Wifi belly side temperature monitor

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mark440

Has anybody used one of these wifi thermometer/humidity digital units and placed one of the sensors under the house? While humidity is always a concern - it would be nice to know what the temp is down under - especially during the winter. I'm hoping I can find one that starts beeping if a low temperature threshold happens.

I've never had a water line freeze up - but I always 'worry' all the same. I understand some of the units have up to 3 channels so you can do inside, outside, and then down under. Pricing is ~ $25 (+additional sensors)
Opportunity has a shelf life.
Hwystar73

Don't see why it wouldn't work good. I have a 3 channel but only have 2 sensors for it. I have 1 outside and the other in my shop building which has heat and plumbing so I can check if it's cold I can see if the heat didn't come on.
Mark440

I found one on Amazon that looks like it will work well - and it has a very good 4.5 star rating. It is 3 outdoor channels + indoor temp+humidity. The 3 outdoor channels will allow me to put one outside, one in my workshop, and put one under the house.

I'll update this post after installing and using for a week or two.

On Amazon: ORIA Indoor Outdoor Thermometer with 3 Wireless Sensors, Digital Hygrometer Thermometer, Temperature Humidity Monitor Meter with LCD Backlight, Wireless Thermometer
Mark440

Ok...got the unit today and immediately set it up. It is literally just installing batteries and that's it. (NOTE: each sender uses 2 of the AAA's....so 6 total, and the receiver unit users 3 of the AAA's)(total of 9 batteries) FWIW - install the batteries in the senders first. Then the main unit. Give it a couple minutes and the senders will start reporting in.

Thermostat on the HVAC is at 74°. indoor temp on the unit is reading 73.6°.
The #1 sender unit is setting on my breakfast table and it shows 73.7°

I put a sender in the workshop (#2) and one down under (#3).

Workshop is showing 48.3°. Local remote weather station shows 46°.
The down under is showing 54°...and i have nothing to compare it to.

What's really nice about this is ALL of the info is showing on one device - ALL at the same time.

All told, unit +batteries, I spent ~$43. The data is such a relief. (Knowledge is power!)
Hwystar73

Does it have min/max? The one I have does which will let you know just how cold it did get overnight.
Mark440

Yes - it does have the min/max feature. it also has a backlight.
Mark440

have now had all of the sensors in place for a few weeks.

Sensor #1 is hanging right under the eve of the house.
Sensor #2 is hanging in the workshop
Sensor #3 is hanging about 1.5 ft in from the skirting (right under my kitchen at the water lines)

All three are reporting temps that are within 1° of the readings from other sources.

FWIW - one of the driving forces in putting these in place was to get away from leaving a faucet running so that a line doesn't freeze up. That's all good and fine - but with an electric water heater the water bill - AND the electric bill - were going up.
Mark440

As most everybody knows - Texas got caught in a full fledge winter freeze out that left many, many dead - and even more pipes busted with homes flooded. And i am sooooo very glad i installed those remote sensors.

I lost power for about 6 hours the first nite of the freeze. Man oh man - did it ever get frosty chilly freezin COLD! BUT! With the sensors in place, i could monitor the temp down under, and could do the 'trickle on' to keep the pipes from freezing up. It worked perfectly. My electric bill shot up a cool hundred - but i made it through it without a single burst pipe.

Most definitely worth the money!