Metal roof over, SW with a peaked metal roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Hwystar73

looking for info on putting a metal roof over a SW with a metal seamed roof. I've watched videos and read posts. Wanting to know how it's worked out for those that have done it. I planned on running 1x4's every 2 feet across the roof. I saw where some insulated between the wood strips. Was there any problems with sweating either in the home or under the roof over? What did anyone do about the factory J channel/gutter? Did anyone build a fascia and install seamless gutters?
knagjack

i put my metal roof right on top of my shingles, had gutters installed and ditch dug to drain water away from house before i put roof up.
its worked great so far and more insulated since we left the shingles. i was a little concerned about putting the metal right over the shingles so i put a thin layer of roofing felt on top of shingles first than the metal roof.
knagjack

the problem with putting the wooden battens on before the metal roof is how careful you have to be when you walk on the roof, if you step on the dead space you will never be able to fix the dent back.
Hwystar73

It's a SW with a rolled metal roof now. If it was a shingled roof it would be no problem, we metal roofed over our DW over the shingles and did the garage too. DW got foil insulation over the shingles and shop got membrane over the shingles.
With the SW unless we sheathed it with OSB which would add a lot of weight the only way I see to do it is with wood battens. Not much reason to on the roof once it's done and I don't think I'd walk on the rolled roof that's on it now.