Ceiling paper and woodstoves

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

Hey yall I havnt been here in a rite good while.Im doing alot of remodeling and repair work on my trailer.I took out the ceiling in my short hallway cuz condensation from the metal roof got the sheet rock soft.There was paper between the metal and the ceiling joist.The paper was wet and alot of it coming apart.So I took it out.Do yall think replacing the paper with regular black roofing paper is a bad idea?Do yall think maybe the heat from the metal would coz the black paper to catch on fire? And I was thinking about framing sheets of plywood and nailing them between the ceiling joist just for added insulation and maybe a more solid roof.Im wondering if this is a bad idea.It gets rite hot in the ceiling.And Iv asked befor.Im wanting a woodstove.Yall kno the rite ones?Im off grid and trying to get as self sufficent as I can.Sory this so long.Thank you kindly for any sugestions or advice.
archive

Hi,

I cant answer you questions about the ceiling, LOL, I do not know the answers..BUT any wood stoves needs to be MH approved. I do not specifically know the brand names of them but if you do a "google" search for MH approved wood stoves you should get some good info. Check out the renewable energy forum, and I believe the decorating forum has several post about pellet stoves and various wood stoves. To do a search on site go to the navigation drop menu, scroll to you see search and then follow the prompts.

~Yanita~
archive

Hi Kritter,

I can't answer you question either, to be honest. We would need much more information about your home. Age, renovations, etc. We'd also need to know about your location in this big old world.

What works for one person, doesn't work for all. Our homes are very area specific. That means that original construction is meant for certain areas of the world.

Just because your off the grid, means that you want to sacrifice safety in your home. If you're planning on a wood stove, also do a search in the alternative energy forum.

There's a right and wrong way to do everything!

Maureen 8-)
archive

I dont want to sacrifice safty atall.Thats why I was asking about the ceiling and the woodstove.
Thank you kindly for responing.
archive

Hi Kriter,

I noticed that your ceiling question has not been answered...I am going to rename the post and hopefully get you some help with that. Just to remind everyone this is the reason that we ask for only one question per thread.

~Yanita~
archive

Hi foks,

Only half this post has been answered, would somebody please respond to Kriters question about the ceiling paper.

Thanks,
~Yanita~
archive

Hi Kriter,

I noticed that your ceiling question has not been answered...I am going to rename the post and hopefully get you some help with that. Just to remind everyone this is the reason that we ask for only one question per thread.

~Yanita~
archive

If you could get a pic of the ceiling it would help. What materials are the ceiling joists made of? If they are metal, and you have metal roof, it may be to dampen sound (wild guess). As far as the wood stove...just look up "wood stoves" (google), go to the manufacturers website, see if they have Mobile Home approved stoves. They all have different clearance ratings, so take that into consideration. I bought a Drolet and love it! Also make sure that the stove pipe and chimney are rated to 2100 degrees. These will have clearance ratings too. A good idea is to buy the stove pipe and chimney all from the same manufacturer. I recommend double wall stove pipe. I used "Security Chimney" brand. Both brands that I have mentioned are Canadian manufacturers, but they do export to the USA.

The answer is longer than the question...no sweat :)

Jim
archive

Just looked at popsicles post and if you have the same thing between your trusses and roof it is a 1/8" insulation (foam between paper). It is junk! BUT, if your roof is riveted to the trusses and you take it out your roof will be loosely connected to the trusses and may cause other issues (noise, rivets breaking, leaks) and then you will be looking at a new roof, or at least, a major repair. Those rivets must have the proper tension on them and if that is lost....trouble!

Jim
archive

Hi there !
Im not usually here to give advise,but mostly to ask...but,,can i give a bit of advise about the roof,and the felt paper?,I really wouldnt think that it would catch fire at all.After all they used to and still do put it under asphalt shingles....do they not?...They get mighty hot in the summer,,just as hot as a tin roof. I also have a MH approved woodstove.It gives a pretty good heat,,and i have a double lined chmney....but be forewarned...get one that is gonna heat your MH ....The company i got mine from told me that it would do the trick....well i have to burn a lot of wood,,to get it to room temps.....Just a little advise.
Thanks for listening....Glen
archive

Hi Kritter,

So sorry for the typo in the post above of mine! It should have read that just because you're off gird DOESN'T mean you want to sacrifice safety. But, I'm the queen of typos, trust me LOL!

Don't be afraid to ask questions here please! Yes, it's easier for those that answer, to answer on e question at a time. We do prefer that, as Yanita mentioned, but no one will be harsh with you here.

As stated before, can't answer your question, without more details, Black felt is meant as a membrane between the roof decking and shingles, that's about it. It isn't fireproof folks. It's there to protect the sheathing, period.

First point, if you're looking for alternative heating source, do you home work! Get to know our homes very well! Read through the alternative energy forums. There are a lot of wood stove posts there.

Here's my best advice here, get to know your home very well before making modifications to it. It will pay in the end!

Maureen 8-)
archive

Hi
Sorry,,i should have made my reply a bit clearer. The black paper isn't fireproof...we know that,,,but I'm pretty sure that it would not burn ,from a tin roof..a tin roof doesn't get that hot,,or the MH would burn...I have plastic above my ceiling,,and tin roof,(originally),,the plastic certainly doesn't burn up.Just my opinion
Glen
archive

I found info on woodstoves.Northern Tool sells MH aproved woodstoves.Wenever I need to got to town Ill chek them out.
I bawt my house new.Its a 1990 Oakwood single wide.The smallest they sold at the time.
I hav a condensation problem wich started all this ceiling work.Wut Im calling my ceiling joist I reckon I shood call trusses.The metal isnt atached to the trusses.The metal is in neer perfect shape.Iv replaced the paper with black roofing paper I call tar paper.Iv covered the xposted trusses with plywood on both sides.Im thinking about puting plywood between trusses at the top of the trusses to hold the tar paper good and maybe serv as more insulation and help with the condensation,then puting regular insulation up and covering the bottom of the trusses with thin plywood befor I put up a new ceiling.Does anybody see a safty problem or any kind of problem with this?
Thanks yall.
archive

Kriter,

Hold on before you do any of what you have described...I have put out a request for help from a valued forum user.

It may take JD a little time to get to the forum as he to is in MH repairs...

~Yanita~
archive

You may have troubles with the the tar paper. It is an exterior product and may "off gas" over time.

Insulation needs an air gap above it so air can circulate and vent from above it. Otherwise you will have more condensation problems.

If you keep the tar paper when you put in your woodstove, cut it back away from the chimney at least the recommended clearance listed for the chimney. Buy the proper adapter to go through roof too.

Jim