Silicone calking for concrete, wood and metal?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mdnagel

I need to keep water from entering between my skirting's sill plate (pressure treated 2x4) and the concrete pad it's bolted to. The pad extends a good foot past the siding/skirting, in which case water tends to collect.

What caulking would work best?

Butted back against the sill plate (and skirt framing studs) will be Z-flashing that I plan to use for setting the bottoms of the new skirting (metal roofing material). This will provide a nice straight edge as well as to hold the skirting up from resting directly on the concrete and keep it from resting in water.

The Z-flashing, galvanized, is 3/8" for both seat and foot, so figure a bead would have to be a good 3/8" (a fair amount of caulking; but, I care more about doing things right than in sparing expense).
mdnagel

Could a moderator [please] correct the misspelling in the Subject line? Should be "caulking" (not "calking").
Greg

"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mdnagel

Yeah, I'd spotted that article (which is why I was leaning toward silicone). Just kind of looking for feedback on folks' experiences.

It's not a real big deal, as everything is going to be much better than it was before, but if I'm applying my time I like to do the best that can be done (and be done with it!).
Lancer21

I've used silicone caulk in many places, and if it's applied well (which isn't that hard to achieve by oneself), then it'll hold for a while; plus, in the case of a mobile home, the extra elasticity when compared to other caulking materials is welcome.