Need to replace the back door

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rwitte

We have a 1996 Fairmont 16x80, and the back door has completely disintegrated. We need to replace it, and I know that some of you here have had good experiences with certain websites, so I was hoping I could get a recommendation. We also need to know, for sure, how to measure the door/frame.
The one that is on there now is an original foam core outswing door. We had toyed around with the idea of replacing it with one of the combo doors that have the screen door and the inner door, we have the clearance for that, but didn't know if that is the best way to go.
We've looked a little bit locally, but seem to only be able to find steel entry doors, which we can't modify, so any tips, tricks, or advice would be wonderful.
Thanks.
Jim from Canada

A lot of people have had good luck changing the door to one for a stick built house. It involves some framing work but the door is of better quality, easier to find at a lumber store etc., and you will get the size you want. I have done 2 of them on my home, one being a sliding patio door replacing a regular MH door, and I am glad I did it.

Jim
JD
Site Admin

Replacing the outswing with a new outswing is the least expensive and easiest install. You can get a custom inswing with a screen door but they will be twice as expensive.

It is best to measure the rough opening, which is the hole left when you remove the door, and give that measurement to the company you buy from. The door should be ordered about 1/2" smaller to allow for adjustement. You just want to be sure whoever you talk to knows what measurement you are using, rough opening or actual door size.

I have used http://www.ashvillemobilehomes.com and http://www.mobilehomepartsstore.com and had great service from both. You may want to try a local mobile home parts dealer and save on shipping though. I found these dealers near you. Not sure if they carry doors in stock or not, but you can call them to find out.

Modern Mobile Home Parts & Accessories
419-531-1122
5254 Dorr St
Toledo OH 43615-3634

Mid Ohio RV & Mobile Home Supply Center
419-589-9995
2090 Ashland Rd
Mansfield OH 44905

Fulton Manufacturing Industries LLC
6600 Snowville Rd
Brecksville OH 44141

JD

PS $225 is a common retail price for an outswing door. shipping can be $80 to $160 depending on who you go through. A shipper has to crate the door to keep it from getting scratched up.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Hi,

Personally I think you would be much happier with traditional doors. I have had all mine (3) replaced with traditional steel doors, in swings with screen/glass storms. Much better than any MH replacement, IMO.

There are many threads on this if you want to do a search on the site.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

I totally agree, it may take a little work but it is well worth it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

Yep, went through the same problem a few years ago. Personally, I hate those outswing doors! We took our old door out and replaced it with a door from Lowes. Cost of the door was about $125.00 (back door), 9 paned window door. Another $25.00 for new framing and screws. About $50.00 for the new lock set, dead bolt included. Couldn't be more pleased with the door! I love the inswing door. Works very well when the wind is blowing 50 miles and hour. You don;t have to try to get into the house and grab the door at the same time!

Hubby started gripping at me about the sliding door the other night. I told him it would be simple. All we need to do is reframe it and stick a new slider in. I got 'that' glare LOL! He hates home repair or remodel projects immensely!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Jim from Canada

Maureen
I have a whole series of pics on how I installed my sliding door set, including the way I made the lintle above it. I removed both a door and a window as the slider was installed 1/2 way into each. It required taking out about a 12' section of wall to put it in. If you want them, just ask.

Jim
JD
Site Admin

Hey Jim,

Those would be great pictures for the album!

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
rwitte

Thanks for the great info, and especially JD for the link to the local distributor. We are just going to replace it with a regular outswing door, since we don't really want to go through the trouble of reframing anything, and since we have to replace it, soon, like yesterday.
We might just go ahead and replace the front as well, so that they both match.
But, thanks, everyone.
Yanita

Just wanted to add...although installation of a traditional door is a little more work, it would still only take about a day to install it.

Compare prices on the MH prehung doors and then some from a big box store, also prehung.

Your choice, just wanted to give the extra info.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Georgie

Hello! I noticed that you live in Ohio. There is a store outside Waverly, OH called Scioto Motel. They sell used mobile home items. They have some very nice doors there. My Mom bought a new front door complete with the casing, door and storm door for $149 and you can't tell it was used. I can get the phone number from her if you are interested. Have a Great Day! :D
Jim from Canada

OK...got the pics in my album. I think they come up in reverse order though! There are just a few but I think it shows all the things I did to put in the patio door.

Jim
Harry

Hi

How did you make the beam?

Thanks

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Jim from Canada

I took some 3/4 and 1/2 inch plywood and ripped it to width. I then laminated it all together to the size of the studs with deck screws and PL Premium adheisive. The building inspector gave me the idea, except he didn't say I needed the PL. That stuff is great! I now have the equivilent of a "paralam" beam. It is NEVER coming apart!

Jim
Harry

Hi

Thanks.

I've used 3 2x4s screwed and glued. yours looks stronger.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?