Re level Advice...Please

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

help4MH

Harry wrote:Hi Steven

You've rec'd some good info above. I just wanted to add if after checking you find you need to relevel you'll need 4 maybe 6 20ton jacks, jack plates and timbers. And don't forget you may also need to do some tie-down strap maintenance.

Releveling is covered in Marks Manual Chapter 21.

Good Luck

Harry
Hi,
I'm new to this BB, so I'm sorry if I'm doing it wrong. I felt a "lump" under where the double wide of my place, a 16' double wide, 11 yrs old, is. Had 2 contractors come out. 1 said "you don't have anything wrong", but she didn't measure, level or look. The other was a Mobile Home contractor and he said "your marriage line is out and you are 1" off down on either side outwards so the marriage line, whatever it is called is bowed holding the strain of the "unlevel" Mobile home. He said he could do it in a day, and it would cost $2000. I live in Santa Cruz, and I'm wondering if I really need a relevel? Can I wait? I can see 1 stress crack from where the beam is coming thru the sheetrock. But, after reading all that you guys wrote, I'm wondering If the bid I got is way too much? And what if they relevel? Can they break my pipes? Sheetrock inside? And anything else? I'm afraid to take the bid, I live alone and I don't know anything about it. Please someone , help. I know I'm new, but should I call the contractor back and say "I'm seeing other bids of $500 etc?" I just don't know how to handle this, and if I don't relevel, what will happen? My old MH was shorter, and this one is longer, and the end that I'm feeling the lump where the double wide is "bulging", is the end where the pad stopped early. The 1st MH I had here was about 30'. This one is 50'. Should I get other bids? What do I do?????? HELP? Please????Thanks, and sorry for so many questions.
Yanita

Hi,

Slow down with the panic, I doubt your home is going to collapse, but we do need further clarification, or at least I do.

Where is this lump, exactly, on the floor, in the wall, underneath in the dirt....

The marriage line is where the sections of the home are joined together.

What beam, a steel beam from under the home or wooden framing stud, that is twisting and pushing out of the wall?

Has anyone been under your home and checked to see what the piers look like, are they cracked, or leaning, have some sunk?

Yes, more damage can occur during a re level. When a home is repositioned (raised/lowered) then yes you can get small stress cracks from the re level. BUT, all this depends on the contractor doing the job, and how out of level your home is.

Personally I think 2 thousand is high, regardless of the area, but that is just my opinion, and not a job that I do!

I am going to try to split this topic as you should have posted a new thread. Although your questions are about a re level, the circumstances are different than the original posters situation.

Others with more knowledge on this will be along latter this evening.

Have a great day!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
help4MH

Ok,
No1 has crawled under the MH. I've begged and asked all the contractors and handymen. They say they don't need to. So I don't know what it looks like. Thank you for putting me in the right spot. I hope this is the way to reply to you.

Anyway, the only "good" MH contractor, the one w/ the bid of 2k, (he had it at $2,500, and lowered it for me!), came in the MH, mine, and had a level. He laid it down on the floor, all around the MH. My MH has the living rm in the front, bedrooms in the back. Its the back floor, under the rug, where I 1st noticed, 2 yrs ago, a "lump" under the rug. I called out a contractor and she said "oh it's just a rug matt", which I knew it wasn't, because I've been living here for 11 yrs, almost. It was new in '97. And she left, saying "you'll do more damage if you try to relevel right now, because your place looks so good.". It does on the inside and outside. But I knew that "lump" right where the 2 sides join, marriage line, wasn't supposed to be there!. So I kept up w/ asking people. I finally, this summer got a MH repair contractor out, the $2K people, and he measured, leveled, but did NOT crawl under. I asked him to. He said he knew what it was. "The 2 sides of your MH are sinking or settling. They've settled about an inch on ea. side outwards, or away from the middle, and down. So that is putting stress on your marriage line, making it bow upwards and that's what you are feeling under your feet, it's also making your floors squeek. I can get it done in a day, tighten up the squeeks, and you'll be fine".

The beam I mentioned, is a vertical beam that is at the end of the MH, at the end of the marriage line, b/t the sheetrock and the outside siding , where the insulation is. I've been watching it push forward into the sheetrock up near the roof. And the sheetrock is just starting to crack. But you can barely see it. I can , because I live here. And look and panic, as you can tell. So, I asked him about that and he said "That's a stress crack due to the settling. I can fix that too, after about a month after we do the relevel, but that will cost you more for fixing the new cracks you'll have". He was nice, but, I am wondering , do I need this? Will my MH be ruined if I don't run and jump into the bid? In CA, especially Santa Cruz, everything is verrry expensive. You can't get a bungalow for less than $500,000. most the time. So I really don't know if he is overpricing for this area. There are no other bonded, licensed 'repair men' here. So if I don't do it, will I destroy my MH? I need this place badly. It's the only place I can live. I have a bad heart, and on a fixed income. That's why I don't want to have the MH broken , like if they relevel, can the pipes break? The windows? ETC? I can't afford it. I have no1 to help me, I have no family. NO1 and I'm scared to death that I'll loose this place.

So no I don't know what kind of stuff this place is on. I've seen cynder blocks under there myself, w/ wood sheves? sp? The asphalt pad stops short, and that's where the marriage line "bump" under the rug, in the back of the house is. Where there is NO pad under it. Just dirt. So it was fine for 9 yrs, and now it's apparent to me that there is a lump/bump @ the marriage line, and I did see that the house was unlevel watching him w/ the level. But only by 1 " at the most on either side. I'm terrified. I have 30 days left to accept their bid or it'll go up. I hope I answered the questions you replied to. Thank you for replying and getting me to where I"m supposed to be. This is my 1st time, and I'm so glad to see people on the web talking about mobile homes. I need help. And I do panic, because of my health and I don't want to be homeless. So anyone who lives around here , or can help, please let me know. I saw the bids for other areas of the country and it floored me. Help...... Thanks
Harry

Hi

I just wanted to add that Mark's Manual Chapter 21 covers releveling. I recommend you order the manual. It will clear up a lot of your questions and you'll be better able to discuss the project with the repair people. It certainly will give you an idea about how to level a MH.

Also you might be able to save some money if you remove and reinstall the skirting. You might also want to do any tie-down strap loosening & maintenance yourself.

After the MH is releved this site can help fix up the cracks.

Good Luck

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

Hi & welcome to the family. As you know our homes do in fact move with the seasons and the will settle some. the first thing you may want to do is read Mark's book. It covers about any problem you will encounter as a mobile owner.
Have a few mobile home people look at it and give you quotes. Prices very accross the country so it is impossible for most of us to say if the price is in line or not. Make sure you get references from the contractor, there are many fly by nighter's out there. Keep us informed. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Your doing fine, and I certainly understand your panic...but unscrupulous folk will feed on your panic and situation.

The "only good" contractor you had with the high estimate is not as good as you think. You can not tell for level in a MH with a framing level (carpenters level) ,it requires a water level and is checked underneath the home on the steel I beams. To understand what I am talking about look in the BOOKS /PARTS link above, scroll till you see Water level kit.

The beam in the wall is called a stud. It is probably twisting from the stress of the home.

JD is from California, maybe he will have some suggestions for you, or possibly know of contractors in your area.

It might be in your best interest to order Marks Repair Manual, also found in the Books/ Parts link above. It has alot of clear pictures and is real easy to understand. It has a chapter on releveling. The more knowledge you have about your home and the repairs the less likely you will get taken advantage of.

Others more versed in this repair will be along latter.

Yanita

LOL, as I was typing others were responding
help4MH

Ok, thank you , all, I need all the help I can get. I had a "worker" for the park come by to replace the gas meter, and I sat down and talked to him. He works for a mangement firm that owns MH parks across the 50 states. When I told him the quote of $2000, he laughed and said "you are getting ripped off. You should not pay more than $500". And call around, cause allot of people do this sort of thing.

My concern is that it's Aug, almost middle of , now, and can someone do the work once it starts raining? And again, what about damages? What if while they are moving it, leveling, they break the sheetrock? Or a pipe bursts? My insurance Co. says "Never hire anyone who isn't bonded & insured". I tend to agree w/ them. Because I see how quickly things break in these Moblie Homes. I'm broke. I'm not healthy. My heart is bad, my back is bad, and I have no1 in my life to help me. So I can't do the repairs. I don't want to hire someone who doesn't know what they are doing. So where the heck do I look? The phone book only shows Mobile Home contractors, and "Handymen", but I got the only one who , around here, knew that it needed to be releveled.

Can this wait , while I research it, and find out who can work on my place? Will it break? Will it be deterimental in any way? I don't know what book you guys are referring to. I just "typed in my search engine 'Mobile home repair' and got this". So, I haven't really read up on the whole website, but I will. I just want to know that my house will live. I'm broke, I said that, and that's where the panic is coming from. I have allot of repairs to do to this 10 yr+ home, i.e. rotten skirting, new carpet, sheetrock repair, caulking outside, etc. And I am a Disabled RN, due to my heart stopping and me dying. So I can't do any work myself. I'm female, and I used to do everything myself. Now I have to ask others, and it's a bit embarrassing for me. Does ANYONE know someone reputable in the Central CA area? I.E. San Jose, Santa Cruz, Monterey. Hopefully Santa Cruz? That won't start out w/ NOT going under the MH? Why won't they? 4 contractors and not one was willing to go under or even look under the house.

So should I call this place that is asking $2K for the work, and tell them that's too much $ for me, and see where that goes? Or, should I sit on it for awhile? I'm in a fix and I really need help. I appreciate all of your input, all of you. You've given me allot to think about. Thank you for the link. Yanita And thank you for letting me know that this guy didn't really know what he was talking about. I know the Co. and they set up "new MH"S" around here. He was going to charge me $2500, but lowered it. But the man I was talking to after I read your reply, he confirmed that it was a terribly high price. I'm so scared. I know you said that they will feed off my fear, but how the heck do I hide it when fall is coming and this is the only place I can afford to live in? Yes, I agree that information is a great tool. I'm just not informed, nor am I able to get out and about. Where would I look for contractors who know what they are doing? And how important is it to have a bonded/ insured,/licensed person working on a relevel? This "guy" who works for the park, said the relevel is pretty easy, and people who know how to do it can get it done in a few hours. IS that true? Or is he trying to impress me? I know allot of these questions are redundant and probably silly, but I have no1 esle to ask, and feel like I am not getting ripped off. Anyone, and thank you to all that have responded already. It means so much to me. REALLY, you have no idea. !!!!!
Yanita

Hi,

Once again calm down, you are not taking in what I am saying to you.

No, your home will not collapse.

The man/company that wants to charge you 2000.000/2500.00 is not going to do the re level correctly, I said it needs to be done with a water level, look at the top of this page find the books/parts link and click, scroll till you see water level, this is what they need to do the job, or at least determine how out of level you are.

The manual/book is in the same link as the water level...you need not type anything into a search.

I would guess that a re level would take more than a couple hours, maybe the better half of a day, just guessing.

You need to make sure that the contractor you hire is a licensed and insured/bonded individual. Their insurance will cover damages that may happen to your home during a re level. Major damage is not typical.

Breaking water pipes, sewer lines, electrical or even breaking windows usually does not happen, your home is raised/ lowered in slow increments. BUT, small cracks in the sheet rock might happen, this is easily repaired.

I understand your health issues, your income and being alone, I am sorry for all of that. Please read my post slowly and then read again so you understand what I am trying to tell you.

Yanita
JD
Site Admin

Hi help,

Welcome to the forum. First of all, like Yanita said, you can lower your stress level. This settling happens over a long period of time and it is very unlikely that that your home is in immediate danger.

Both of the responses you got are probably correct. Mobile homes do tend to settle on the outside edges more than the center of the house. You have two halves, each with a steel beam, where the piers are, about a 1-1/2 ft in from the edges. When you lag to the two halves together, you will have the two inside rows of piers of each half very close to the center of the home and just one row of piers running down each of the outside edges. In other words, twice as much support in the center than the outsides. This causes the outside piers to settle more than the inside. This is a very simplified explanation. There are other factors as well. Point is, mobile homes do tend to settle on the outsides causing a hump at the marriage joint in the middle of the home.

The other explanation is also true, but I am thinking the above situation is the real problem. But right where the two halves come together, it is common for the carpet pad to get worn and basically eat up on the ridges of the two halves. This will cause a slight hump.

Both of these situations are expected to happen to double wide mobile homes. I tell all my customer's that they should consider getting a relevel every 8-10 years, even sooner on a fresh set. Keep in mind that here in California, almost all homes are set on dirt and not on concrete footers.

As for the price, $2000 seems like an extremely high price for a standard relevel, even for Santa Cruz. Now if your contractor is planning on adjusting the marriage joint by removing lags, resetting the two halves to remove an offset of the two sides and performing the relevel, then the price would be more competitive. So you need to know what it is this company is planning to do. Things like seismic piers, type of skirting and set, local license and code requirements specifically from the City of Santa Cruz would all be factors that could add to their labor time and overhead.

JMO

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
JD
Site Admin

I am putting up a second post. I was in the midst of writing the above post when I ended up needingt to cut limbs off of a tree and taking the wife's car to the garage. I came back, finished the post and clicked submit. I see more questions have come up since then.

Anyways, YES. It is important that whoever does your relevel and other major repairs is licensed, bonded, insured PL & PD. Any contractor that is truly professional in his business will pay for the optional (in my state) liability and property damage insurance. You can not bid major corporate or government contracts without it.

Small minor cracks in sheetrock texture can happen when releveling. Major damage of any type should not happen when the relevel is performed by an experienced contractor.

$500 seems like a reasonable, if not cheap, relevel for the Santa Cruz area. Again, read my post above about price. We charge $450 for a standard relevel here in Fresno, CA. We would be happy to do one in Santa Cruz for $1500 :)

Better yet, click this link to get 6 contractors that list themselves for mobile home repair in in CitySearch.com. I don't know these companies or their qualifications, but they list themselves as contractors that do mobile home repair. They may have a General B license (general contractor) or a C-47 (mobie home repair contractor). These companies are within 20 miles of you.

http://santacruz.citysearch.com/search? ... =directory
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
help4MH

Thank you soooo much. It is nice to know there are decent people who don't want to rip me off, still in this world. I appreciate all your input and wisdom. I wish you and all of you were my neighbors. But we can be neighbors in cyberspace.

I will call the contractors on the link you gave me J.D. I really appreciate it. Can't thank you enough. :D
macmom

You are getting very very good advice from these wonderful people here.
Call your county housing authority. the federal government gives grants to all states and counties to help with home improvement. they would rather help you repair your home then to have to house you in government housing. they may have people they can put you in contact with to help with the repairs. Also you may want to contact a local mobile home sales lot. They have to have someone set them up.
I think that 2000 is a bit high also. the very first thing you need to do is get marks book. that is advice that everyone has given you. Even if you do not plan on repairing the home yourself, you will at the least know what someone is talking about when they try to explain it.
If you can not afford the book I will purchase it for you. The book is a great starting point to repairing your home. I love my book, I will try to do anything (course i have a handy husband when i make a mess of things).
Good luck... keep us posted
Indians

"Call your county housing authority. the federal government gives grants to all states and counties to help with home improvement"

Can I ask what this means? What do you say? Sorry I am floored...!

We just moved in to ours a couple of months ago and having issues and we might have to go to a hotel till we figure out what the smell is and ran into another issue today...but anyway! Have to protect the kids!
macmom

Hi, All counties apply for and recieve money from the federal gov. to help with repairs, to make a home liveable ect. The dept will be called something different in each state. It is on a need basis.
The program started years ago when not everyone has elec and indoor plumbing. It is to help keep your home to a liveable standard.or bring it up to a liveable standard.
The money is given on a need basis, including an income maximum. its worth a try.
Greg

One thing you need to remember, our homes are a lot tougher than they seem at times. How many stick built homes could survive a 65 mph wind, let alone going down a road at 65 MPH. Try and calm down, as the others have said I doubt that your home is in danger of collapse. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."