Drain pipe glue for cold weather

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ponch37300

Figure I would start a post so it may help others in the future. I had some frozen drain pipes to repair for a lady in the park. She just bought her trailer this year, first year in a MH. It's right down around zero here this week. Someone had replumbed her shower a while ago and they didn't slope the drain pipe so it had standing water in it and it was an 1 1/2" pipe and it was run below the underbelly so it froze and was leaking. I replumbed it all and ran it with the correct slope and tied it into the 3" main drain at a different spot. Most of the plumbing in the MHs around here is black ABS, including the main drains going into the parks sewer. But the stores around here have a limited amount of ABS fitting. Menards only has 1 1/2" fittings and just the basics. Home depot has nothing. Lowes has a few 3" and 2" stuff along with 1 1/2" fittings. But again mostly just the basic fittings. So I end up using PVC for some things.

Here is were my question comes in. The black ABS glue is only rating down to 40 degrees by the manufacturer oatey. When I transition from ABS to PVC I use the special light bluish glue made for that, again only rated to use above 40 degrees. Oatey does make a cold temp glue that is rated down to zero or negative degrees, don't remember exactly but it would have been the glue to use since it's below 40 degrees outside. But this cold weather glue is only for PVC, so no good for the ABS I need to glue.

So what do others in the cold weather use in these situations? I ended up using the ABS to PVC transition glue where needed and then the ABS glue where needed. I had some heat lamps and a heat gun to try and keep the fittings and glue above freezing to hopefully create a good seal. I didn't have any leaks so I'm crossing my fingers all is good. But it still bothers me that I'm going against manufacturer specs. Anyone have a solution for ABS and ABS to PVC glues for cold weather?
Greg

If it sealed, I think you will be fine. A salamander would heat things up for you if you have one. But I think a heat gun should work for just the fittings.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

I hope you made sure to use a primer also before the glue.

Ron
jpingram5

I have used the Oatey All Purpose Glue in similar conditions such as yours. I kept it inside and then used it ASAP and hit the joints with a heat lamp for a few minutes. I have not had any problems so hopefully you will not either. Also, I have used this same glue out of the work van when it got cold and was rather thick but it still made good joints.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
ponch37300

HouseMedic wrote:I hope you made sure to use a primer also before the glue.

Ron
Oatey recommends to NOT use any primer for ABS pipe. You can use a cleaner but NO primer on ABS pipe.
ponch37300

jpingram5 wrote:I have used the Oatey All Purpose Glue in similar conditions such as yours. I kept it inside and then used it ASAP and hit the joints with a heat lamp for a few minutes. I have not had any problems so hopefully you will not either. Also, I have used this same glue out of the work van when it got cold and was rather thick but it still made good joints.
What is the difference between the Oatey all purpose cement and the Oatey ABS to PVC cement? The all purpose doesn't say ABS on the can but just now looking at the Oatey website it says the all purpose is good for ABS and PVC. I've always used the ABS to PVC transition cement but all purpose might be better.

All purpose, http://www.oatey.com/products/plastic-p ... ose-cement

Transition, http://www.oatey.com/products/plastic-p ... een-cement
HouseMedic

ponch37300 wrote:

Ron
Oatey recommends to NOT use any primer for ABS pipe. You can use a cleaner but NO primer on ABS pipe.
I know this but you stated that you used mostly PVC. The red label "All Purpose" glue will work for both ABS and PVC.
jpingram5

Yes, the "All Purpose" is to be good for all PVC/ABS/CPVC. I never really looked at the specs on it but I always used All Purpose just because....well I'm not too sure thats just what I always would get at the supply house lol.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
ponch37300

HouseMedic wrote:
ponch37300 wrote:

Ron
I know this but you stated that you used mostly PVC. The red label "All Purpose" glue will work for both ABS and PVC.
Yes I had to use a mix of ABS and PVC. I use primer with all PVC glue ups.

I wonder why oatey makes a special ABS to PVC transition glue if all purpose works fine to do transitions? I think I will email them and see what they say.