Insulation question (encapsulated)

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Pafrmboy

I have a few questions about the plastic encapsulated insulation.

I'm using the 6" fiberglass for the floors and I'm wondering with side is the "vapor barrier"? There is a white side with writing and it has the "vapor barrier circular arrow" and then the other side with is just grey plastic with what appears to be very small holes. I'm assuming that the side with the writing goes toward the heated area?

Also when using this encapsulated plastic covered insulation, should the plastic be removed from the area where it touches the heat duct? (above and below the duct)? I know that the original "kraft faced paper" insulation was near the heat ducts, but I worry about the plastic.

I have to make sure that these ducts are well insulated for next year! Heck I found a complete separation/tear in the metal midway in the house. Heck....all the heat the leaving the home and FAST!! So glad I have torn into this bottom to fix all of it!
Greg

Vapor barriers have always been a source of discussion in mobiles, Most manufacturers don't even use them.

As for the plastic, The heat ducts should not get hot enough to melt plastic but if you feel better removing it go ahead it should not make much difference.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Pafrmboy

Thanks Greg.... yes, it's confusing! I did find out that one side of the encapsulated insulation has small holes. The other side is solid. (The solid side is the side with the writing). That side functions as the vapor barrier and goes against the heated surface/side. It also has the staple flanges. But when you are putting in a craw space the flanges are not useful! You can order "reverse staple flanges" for use in crawl space applications/mobile home floors.