1978 remodel

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Bamagirl

Hello everyone! I am new here even tho I have lurked for a couple of years off an on. !st let me tell you a little about this 1978 I can't right off remember the model name. It was a 3 b edroom room, 2 bath. Years ago I took out the small bedroom to enlarge living area. So now the kitchen an living area is all open. All the central air/heating stuff is gone also, no ducts underneath. I have re-floored and tore out paneling(re-insulated and went with 1/2 sheetrock) in 1 of my 2 bedrooms. Re-floored 1 bath, used existing paneling and tub but new tub surround wall, new vanity. Master bath completely a major overhaul, new everything. Master bedroom nothing done to it yet. Living area has new sub floor and laminate flooring(still have to insulate underneath, I plan on having that done by next winter cause it was dang cold down south this winter.) I still have to do walls in living area but I have bigger fish to fry for my next project. THE KITCHEN! it has to be totally gutted. So for the ceiling what is the best to use as for as insulation and ceiling replacement? I would really like new cabinets, is it hard to find cabinets that will fit in older mobile homes? I'm sure I'll have tons more questions, as me and my help is a jack of all trades and masters of none. I will try to get some pics up shortly. Thanks in advance
ponch37300

I would use fiberglass batt insulation in the ceiling. I like blown in when you can do it from the attic but in MHs that's a little tricky! So batt insulation is usually the best way to go. Staple it up to the joists and then drywall or whatever finish you want. There is a post on here not that long ago where one member used corrugated metal panels that looked really nice.

For cabinets most MHs had build in cheapo cabinets in them. If you are gutting the kitchen you can design and install pretty much any size/style of cabinets you want. We just did ours and I just used the cheaper cabinets from home depot. I stained them myself to save a few bucks. I just ripped out what was there and then measured it up and picked out cabinet styles to fill the space. Turned out a million times better then what was there. Tons more storage and even though they are just the cheaper HD cabinets they are still decent quality and better then what was there. Then I measured for the countertop and ordered that from menards. Just a laminate countertop but has a texture to it, think they call it realistic or something. Looks pretty nice and easy to install and if you catch it on sale it's not to bad. But if you're gutting it then it's basically a blank canvas that you just pick what you want to fill it.
Greg

Don't be afraid of un assembled cabinets. We redid our kitchen and used Sunco cabinets. It was around $1300 for all of the cabinets (18) 7 years ago. They are SOLID oak with plywood (not mushboard). Look close at the cabinets before you buy them, particle board is useless for flooring and no better for cabinets.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Bamagirl

Thanks I dont have alot of cabinet space, I had considered re-using the cabinet frames but after taking one down today. .ahhhh no they have to go. I am hoping to install some base cabinets on the wall opposite of the sink. I tried to upload some pics apparently there was an operator error. I will work on that. I'm dealing with a 12x65, it has a peak right about even with front door, then the ceiling slopes going into living area and into kitchen. I am sure this home was top of the line back in its day with the black counter tops, red shag and blue shag carpet..black paneling ..also has wood beam andboards on ceiling. Anyway thanks for responding..
~BamaGirl~