Bought & installed new outswing MH door. Lockset issue....

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ponch37300

Greg wrote:
Steve-WA wrote:I am *NOT* going to start carrying a lipstick in my toolbox!
Chalk line chalk works also.

Greg
Just make sure to use blue colored chalk or purple. Red, Black, Yellow, florescent are permanent.
mh_doni49

mh_doni49 wrote:So do I need a special lock set? If so, can I buy just the latches for the deadbolt and handset and use them with the set I bought?
I went back to the store where I bought my door and explained the problem. He told me that these doors take a special latch that's not as wide. He took me over and showed me the deadbolts and doorknobs that he had. I really did not like any of them. Then he bent down and showed me an assortment of latches. They looked very similar to the one in the deadbolt that I had already bought. (The part that looked similar was the part that allows the deadbolt to slide in to be able to control the latch.)

So I went ahead and bought one for $9. My deadbolt does work with this new latch. I've got it installed in my door and it's working.

Here are pics of the two latch bolts so you can see the difference. Hopefully this might help some else down the road.
IMG_20130922_073154.JPG
IMG_20130922_073324.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don I
Holts Summit, MO
(Central MO)
ponch37300

Glad you got it figured out and thanks for sharing the solution. I've never seen a deadbolt like that so I learned something new today. I'll have to see if home depot or lowes has those the next time I'm there.
HouseMedic

Good to hear you have it figured out and working. As many of those latches that I have installed over the years I have not seen that type before. Just goes to the saying that you learn something new everyday. Thanks for posting the pictures of the two different type.

Ron
mh_doni49

HouseMedic wrote:Good to hear you have it figured out and working. As many of those latches that I have installed over the years I have not seen that type before. Just goes to the saying that you learn something new everyday. Thanks for posting the pictures of the two different type.

Ron
You're certainly welcome. Sites like this are invaluable to me and I've always tried to give back when I can.
Don I
Holts Summit, MO
(Central MO)