54 x 31 Tub Replacement Options

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

gtpvette

Well the renovations for the second bath are in the research phase as I need to figure out what I'm going to do. The bath tub seems to be a standard MH size 54" X 31" and I really don't have the room or desire to change the foot print so I'm trying to determine all of my options.

I haven't been able to find anything on the Lowes or Home Depot website that would work. Have you been able to finds anything that fits besides something from a mobile home supply store??

As a sidebar,,,, why the heck did they make them this odd ball size!!! Also,,, don't get me started on the vanity width. It's two inches too narrow (front to back) to use anything off the shelf,,,, unless I move the door.

Thanks!!!!
Greg

One idea would be to replace it with a stand up shower. I put a 48" in our's.
As for the vanity, you can usually go with a full size. But If you have door issues that changes things. How about switching the hinge side?

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
gtpvette

Thanks fro your thoughts Greg.

I went to a local Mobile Home supply yesterday and took a look at the 27x54 shower as well as the tub. The 27x54 shower was a bit narrow for me,, tub was OK. Both were fiberglass and OK quality at best. Tub was $259 and the surround was $399. I'd be looking at $650 for either of the two.

The thing that strikes me is this solution was more expensive than what I just put in the master bath (that was about $550) and was smaller and not even close in quality.

All that said,,, I thinnk your idea of a shower stall may be the right solution. I'm going to try to find one non-mobile hole specific as I think they'll be better and cheaper in the long run. With them being a bit wider front to back, I may have to move the toilet over a few inches though.

As for the door, reversing it really wont work. I may end up building a vanity. Just what I need,,, another project!
JD
Site Admin

54x32 tubs will be very hard to find and if you do, affording it is another issue. While a tub may measure 31", I have never heard of a tub with that designation in it's specs. 54x30 tubs are made by American Standard, Kohler, and Delta, as well as rebranded and lesser brand names. I have ordered 54x30 porcelain/steel tubs from Lowes before for around $180. I have since found a local big plumbing supply store, one that services contractors as well as retail, to have them in stock for a less. You may have to wait for the special order to arrive, but they should be available. If there is a difference in footprint, that can be hidden with plastic trim placed flat.

Porcelain/steel tubs are the old school type where an old chip will rust. But these tubs were the tub of choice for a century or so and I feel they are stronger and hold up better than any ABS tub. The cheap versions on these tubs that I have found have always been white. You can buy an inexpensive ABS shower enclosure from your local home stores. While it too may be white in color, most times it will be a different white.

For a 54" tub or shower, I will buy the shower door from a local shower door company. Actually, I pay them to install because that is the way their pricing is set up. $275 for a door made to fit the 54" opening (no 32" side like 60" doors) installed is a good deal, compared to buying a mobile home shower door and installing it myself.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
gtpvette

JD,, thanks for your thoughts. I did find a 54x30 tub at Home Depot for $150 and one at lowes for $419 so they are an option. I've been looking into cultured marble surrounds. Looks like I could get them made for about $400 which seems pretty good. They guy says you stick them up with construction adhesive,,, so it sounds super easy. I could also get the vanity top made to match. Still need to see what's available in fiberglass surrounds that size.
Greg

If you are going with a one piece surround, measure everything and make sure you and get in the bathroom. Remember corners and tight spaces too.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
KLBoldon

whatever you choose - make sure it will fit through the door!

In our first bathroom remodel i was thinking of replacing the shower/tub combo because the tub is a shallow one and its an odd size likes yours. Then i took a look at how I would even get a new one in! The door to that bathroom is only a 24"! So I would have had to get a tub and 3 pc. surround for a replacement.

Another thing to consider, the more common of a size you choose the cheaper it will be because of how much more the retail outlet can buy of that size, driving the cost down. Oddball sizes and colors will always be more expensive because they are made and purchased in lower quanities.