Mobile Air conditioning/heating units

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

darlingtallulah

This is my first post, and I hope I don't mess it up royally. Anyway, I just got an old mobile home (my brother gave it to me because it was REALLY that bad). I have no idea what year or make at this time. I have a contractor rebuilding the inside, so it's not free by any means. I can't afford to redo the central heat and air at the present time and I really don't want to put window units in, but I will if need be. Does anyone have any experience with the portable heat/air units? Living alone, I will only be heating/cooling the kitchen, living area and bedroom/bathroom, I am closing the main hall and 2 smaller bedrooms off. I think the home is 14x70.
Thanks for any help.

Margie
The older I get, the better I was!
tritontr

Your main concern with a portable unit is two things and these have to be dealt with when it is in the A/C mode. One is the condensate water (from the humidity in the air) the unit comes with a container that will fill and you may have to empty it often depending on how much condensate is produced in your application. On most units you can purchase as an option a pump that will remove the water without using the container but you will have to run a line to a drain. Second is the hot condenser air, there will be a flexible duct that you will have to vent to the outside thru a window or by some other means. The size unit will depend on total square footage used and wall and ceiling insulation and type of windows, you can check with some A/C people in your area of the country to get an idea what size is needed. On the heating side typically these type of units don't have a lot of heating capacity.
darlingtallulah

Thanks Tritontr for your quick reply...
Since you know something about these units, do you think a window heat/air unit is preferable?
Thanks,
Margie
tritontr

You would not have to be concerned with the things above with a window unit. However most windows that are in mobile homes are not as strong as site built homes so make sure you use a brace on the outside to support the window unit. good luck
darlingtallulah

Thanks Triton,
I think I'll just stick with the old tried and true window unit and get my contractor to build me a good brace.
Robert

Hi Margie,

Best to go with window unit in this case. I do not like the portables for mobile homes as water is worst enemy and too easy to have a disaster.

You would be better suited to have the contractor cut an opening in a wall, build square support and install through wall.

Still be good to support outside portion though.

More support, lot less rattling and more security that way.

They make through the wall kits and window units or can make as above stated.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
darlingtallulah

Thanks Robert for the suggestion. One question, though, I'm not sure I'll be here for one year or 5 years or forever....how difficult (i.e. how expensive) would it be to have a contractor cut the hole, or would it be better just to put it in the window temporarily. I'm kind of running out of money, having had to replace floors, walls, etc. all at once.

Thanks,
Margie
Robert

Hi Margie,

Not too difficult so should be reasonable, but could do the window and later place in wall if feasable and still there.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
brendya

Is the air-conditioning unit connected to electrical power supply?
That is, if your electricity was to get knocked out, does that mean your air-conditioning unit will stop working as well? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I really don't know, lol. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by brendya on Sat May 02, 2009 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
tritontr

No power= no a/c
Robert

Hi,

I will delete the last two posts this evening. If any further info is needed, please start a new thread with your questions.

Thanks,
Robert