A/C woes

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

rdavy

I have a 2001 Clayton singlewide home that has an air conditioner problem that baffles me. The living room vent is nearest the A-coil and gets the least air flow. The kitchen, bathroom and master bedroom are further away and get great air flow. Likewise the other two bedrooms have excellent air flow. Our living room is always the warmest room, a little too warm for comfort during the day. I've looked down into the duct and can't find anything that seems to cause the problem. IS there anything that can be done to get a little more air flow from this vent? Is it worth calling an AC service tech to check the problem? Can vents be added to the duct, the living room is the largest area I reason that an extra vent would add more air circulation to the room. Unit is a 3 ton, mobile home is 14X60 located in hotter than hell Del Rio Texas. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Robert

Hi,

Living rooms being generally next to or close to kichens, occupied alot and more windows and doors are normally the warmest.

Most living rooms have two registers for this reason.

No way to really increase airflow from that one register.

You can add a register, but having to open belly underneath could make it cost prohibitive. Would need an estimate to know for sure.

Keep in mind that the register airflow is for "feeling" more than anything.

The coolness of the room is reached through keeping down the amount of heat entering said room, amount of cool air escaping and the removal of the heat present from the room.

Removing the heat, keeping heat infiltration at its lowest is what creates the cooler temp in the rooms.

The cool air from the registers adds to this by creating a cool feeling from the cool air circulation and helps maintain the cool temp longer.

You may be able to divert some extra air into that register, just be careful to not take away from what other rooms need also.

Some install a small L shaped divertion wall in the duct to cause airflow to bounce off and up through register.

Use a mirror and bright light to carefully inspect the register boot to be sure it is connected and no openings have developed.

Hope this helps.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?