Window AC

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Carl

I have a window AC unit (Wirlpool) that is 5 1/2 yo. The fan has stoped working however I think all else works fine. I think a bearing may have worn out on the fan-it sounded like bearing noise. I only paid $350 for the unit new and I'm wondering if it would be worth while to have the unit looked at & (?) repaired or just go buy a new AC for next year. Any committes appriciated. Thank you. Carl
hvac1000

I hate to say this but by the time you figure the cost of the motor then having someone replace it you are getting close to the price of a new unit. The new unit will also have a warrenty where the old one will not.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Robert

I agree, best to relace the unit. if you put that much in repairing and the compressor quits next year, you have lost it all.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Carl

Thank you for your replies. I'm in agreement with each of you, however I thought it best to get expert imput befor tossing the old unit. Thank you once again. Carl.
Robert

If you can buy one like it or very similar, keep old one for parts.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?