fuel type

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

seacoastne

I have been using K1, but the cost of it is scary. Can I use a mobile home blend which is less expensive without draining the K1? Do they mix? Thanks.
hvac1000

What are you using K1 in? A regular mobile home oil furnace? Or a floor type little space heater?

In NH you have some very cold weather.
The oil delivery people in your area will know what blend is best for you. Here in lower Ohio we use #2 fuel oil but at zero number 2 oil does not want to flow well so when it gets to the middle of the winter they add some number 1 into the mix.
There is a difference in the price of number 1 and K1. K1 has been deoderized more for use in non vented small free standing heaters like KeroSuns and costs more to buy.

As you drop down in oil weight you also loose BTU's per gallon of heat value. That is why industry uses number 8 oil and uses steam to get it out of a tanker for delivery. The stuff is almost like liquid coal.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
hiskid1973

I use regular # 2 with hot shot here in south central Pa.... I moved my tank to the side of my shed out of the wind. I covered my line with 1/2 pipe insulation all the way into the air chute to the furnace..I have a miller furnace and even down graded it to a .50 gph nozzle becase it was too hot..It did well even when in the teens and single digits last winter..Just called for fuel oil..Ouch $3.00..Praying for a mild winter..God Bless..Kim

I used two electric radiators for a month to see the cost.It added $ 90 to the electric and there was stiil some cold spots..The oil I am burning now was $2.40..Guess that is a better deal..for now..My sweetie would like a woodstove..The the thimble is still in the roof for a double wall chimney..
Greg

The problem you may have with regular fuel oil is that it will gell up in the cold. stick builts can get away with it because the tanks are in the basements where they are warm. K1 is kerosene so it does not jell as easily. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."

I have an outside tank here in Central Massachusetts and use #2 with Heet added by the fuel oil company during the winter months. When I first moved in and started calling around for an oil supplier, they were all amazed I didn't use kerosine with an outside tank, but I've never had a problem even at below zero temps. Just got a 66 gallon delivery today, which would be $184 if I wasn't in a locked-in auto delivery plan...OUCH!
hiskid1973

Wish I could lock a price..I just called for 100 gal with hotshot it comes to $308..Man I'm glad I got 30 days to pay..This is the first purchase this heating season. If we have a mild winter it might last..