Electric furnace cheaper than a propane furnace these days?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

plumducky

Wondering if anyone has had a "cheaper" experience with an electric furnace, compared to a propane furnace.

Any recommendations for an electric furnace (brand name)?
Last edited by plumducky on Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
altasnowman

hi, i think you might have better luck in getting an answer if you post this question in the HAVC forum. it is a question i have been thinking about myself. will be interested to see the answers.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
plumducky

Ok Altasnowman, will do and thank you.
plumducky

I don't see how to delete my post, or move a post.

I'll go ahead and post this in Heating and Cooling - maybe one of the moderators will move it?
JD
Site Admin

This post has been moved to Other HVAC

Don't know the answer, but it is just math. Ouch! That hurts my head. I know that Mark has posted on this subject before. Hopefully we will get his views.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Maureen

Basically, the cost depends on your area of the world! In some areas propane is still real cheap, other's natural gas is cheaper, and still other's electric is cheaper.

In my area, all heating products are outrageous right now! We've done the math over the last few years. We have a natural gas furnace, but supplement with oil filled electric heaters. Two years ago our Winter electric and gas bills were over $500.00. Last year we cut that in half! I really took advantage of our East and South windows. As soon as the sun comes up, blinds and drapes are open. When the sun goes down, the thermal drapes are closed. I've used the removable caulk on my old aluminum windows for the last 4 years. Works like a charm! It doesn't replace new windows, but it sure helps!

Make sure that your home is well winterized! You'll save money right there, and it's pretty inexpensive to achieve!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
hvac1000

You need to use a calculator to figure the true cost. Fill this page out completely and you will get your true cost for all fuels for furnaces and A/C.

http://www.hvacopcost.com/
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
plumducky

Thank you JD, Maureen and Hvac1000.

What a great resource this site is! Responses come so quickly, too!
Yanita

HI,

Welcome to the site....here's another opinion. We purchased an older doublewide last year. Original furnace and upgraded AC, although the AC was not matched and therefore not efficient. Both had to go!

After research and conversations with Robert, and of course reviewing the site we went with a Goodman single package gas-electric heating and cooling unit.

These are not traditional MH units. But with proper install, and a manuel J calculation, these units are great. Or at least to me! These units are not the best and they are not the cheapest, but for several reasons I choose this brand.

Your original furnace and AC unit will be removed, this new unit will be installed outside the home...thus you have no noise in the home and gain a small closet where the original furnace was.

It's been real hot in NC this summer, when I got back from vaca there was the light bill on the counter...Ohhhh noooo. Well, I got to open it so I can pay the bill....triple digits for a few weeks, lots of other electrical usage here as well..... :D $189.14! Called around to others in the area that also live in homes comparable to mine....light bills in excess of 400.00!

Check out the Goodman website, sorry I do not have the link readily available, but a Google search will get you there. Also a few questions to Robert will let you know the info you need to make a good decision.

JMO,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
hvac1000

For Goodman site go here.

http://www.goodmanmfg.com/

Also here is a shared private account if you need more info like compatibility etc
USER ID = goodman
PASSWORD = dealer

Have fun

http://partner.goodmanmfg.com/goodman/
Yanita

Thanks for the additional info HVAC!
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
plumducky

My apologies Yanita, Hvac. Thank you so much for all your help (and thx again, to everyone else too). Been having a few problems here.

I've been told that an electric furnace in my 14x70 mobile home won't get it really warm (or as warm as the propane furnace did).

Any experienced disagreements?
hvac1000

That depends upon how big the electric furnace will be as far as KW is concerned. Remember also when changing over to a electric furnace that the electric service and indoor panel has to have the capacity to provide enough amps to the new electric furnace. We have electric furnaces in larger homes than the one you have and they work just fine.
Robert

I have 15KW in a 16X80 and 17KW in a 64X28 DW and both work fine.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
plumducky

Thanks Robert, Hvac.

My current propane furnace is 62,000 BTU output. I assume I should look for a furnace of that spec (my home is a 14' x 70', 1976 model Schult)?

Should I go higher BTU's if my insulation underneath the home is not so good? I know re-doing the insulation is a better idea, but it may be a while before I can get to it.

If I go higher BTU's to compensate for compromised insulation, when it's properly restored, would a higher BTU electric furnace (higher than required if the home had good insulation) be a bad thing then?

My service is 200 amps, with room to spare on the breaker panel.