Miller Model P3RA-030K

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

EDDUNN1

A/C works great. Until yesterday morning the heater worked great also. All of a sudden I turn the heat side on and get cool air. I changed the thermostat, as it has been installed for many years. Before I call a tech and spend bunches of money is there anything I can check myself first? Since I'm in Central FL the heat isn't a really big deal, but would still like to have it working....you know, for those really cold days when it gets below 65..... :lol:
Robert

Hi,

Do you have electric heat strips in your packaged a/c unit outside for heating purposes ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
EDDUNN1

I haven't gotten into the unit yet to check it out. Where would the heat strips be located? Oh, and thanks for the rapid response....ED
Robert

Hi Ed,

Is the outside unit your only unit, no furnace in the home ?

If so, the heat strips will be inside the outside unit inside the half without the fan grille on top.

Look for a side door panel and should see electrical conduit entering in same area.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Robert

Hi Ed,

Also, I'm going to move this over to the Nodyne forum as Miller is made by Nordyne.

Follow it over there please.

IF you have zero warm air, may be a tripped breaker or a bad contactor or loose wiring.

If partial, but low heat, may be contactor, loose wiring, bad element coil or bad limit switch.

Just some possibilities there.

Thanks,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
EDDUNN1

Thanks Robert. I'll get a chance this afternoon when I get off work to check it out. I'll let you know. It is outside with no furnace inside. ED
Robert

Hi Ed,

I found the data info on it after I wrote ya. See if you can tell how many KW it is, probably 8kw or 10kw.

Thanks,
Robert
EDDUNN1

I didn't check the kw, but found the problem. Now, at the risk of sounding like an idiot, here we go.......There are springs (coils), and several wires connecting to what looks to be diodes, like on the back of an auto alternator, that are plugged into the plate at the end of the springs. 2 of the wires are burnt thru. Looks like the whole assy. needs to be replaced. What is the assy called? Next, what would the wire gauge be of the 2 that are burnt so I can replace them? Hope I gave you enough info. I'm totally ignorant about HVAC, but am willing to learn....:0)
EDDUNN1

I just pulled a website for replacement parts and discovered it is the heating element (DUH)....now, where the wires are plugged into it, 2 of them are burnt thru, along with what I called a diode. I am assuming the whole element needs replaced. Also, the 2 wires, what guage? Thanks Robert....ED
Robert

Hi Ed,

I hope it was this website as we have an online store for replacement parts, the sale of which keeps these forums up and running.

Where the wires connect is basicly an insulator to the metal.

I will have to see if the assembly is still available or whether a restring kit is needed.

Usually the wire is 10AWG, but best to look at one not burnt to see for sure, wire size printed on the wires.

We either have in stock or can quickly get any parts needed that are available still.

For them to burn, you either had a high amperage draw or a loose connection.

Let me know on wire gauge and I will need to know kw rating to check for replacement.

Look for a model number or kw rating on the element assembly.

Thanks,
Robert
EDDUNN1

Looks like the numbers on the element numbers are worn out, or close to it. I have to work a few hours this morning, then I'll try to make out the numbers, and the gauge on the wire. I looked closer yesterday evening and it looks like the element can be unplugged from the insulator. Other than the wires being burnt, the element looks to be in good shape. Oh, the unit has some moisture in the bottom, right below the element. Looks like the wires got wet....I'll get you to order those parts as soon as I get back to you...Thanks...ED
EDDUNN1

KW looks to be 9.6 on the element. Wire is 12 AGW. 2 insulators need replaced along with 2 wires. Wires are only about 4-5 inches long. Also need end terminal clips for both wires. Let me know if you need more info. Thanks...ED
EDDUNN1

I checked the element very closely and it looks like I need the whole thing. The element was broken on the end. If you can get the order info and price for me let me know so I can order it. Thanks. ED
Robert

Hi Ed,

Will have Mark check with distributors tomorrow and let you know tomorrow night or Tuesday at the latest. Monday's are always hectic as we receive orders through the w/e and they have to be processed on Mondays.

Thanks,
Robert
Robert

Hi Ed,

How much wire do you need and do you also need high heat terminal connectors for the wire ?

Thanks,
Robert