thermostat wiring ?

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

astegall1978

I posted some questions about my Honewell thermostat back in November. thank you for your input on getting it fixed but I had to call a repair man cause nothing worked. long story short after he looked at it for 30 minutes he told me that it was wired wrong and I didn't have a wire for power. He said all I would have to do is add another thermostat wire for the power ( it's the Honeywell wi-fi thermostat) my question is lowes has wire 18-2 and its 50 foot long I only need the one wire so that would work right? and I will prolly need more than 50 ft so i bought two rolls. Can I wire nut and tape the two rolls together so it's long enough? will that work? Thank You for any input you can give me.
Greg

You could do it that way, but why risk creating a problem by having a connection in the middle? If you have a problem down the road, the first thing I would have to look at would be that connection in the middle (the one that will be next to impossible to get to) .
If you are just going to run a single wire, any hardware or auto supply store should have a single wire in bulk.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
astegall1978

what kinda wire would u recommend? I just to make sure that I got it right and all since it is for the power part.
jpingram5

I think what Greg is trying to say is to buy a wire that is long enough. You can buy single strains of wire at auto stores/big box hardware stores. Instead of having a splice somewhere.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80