evcon furnace with motor constantly running

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

lindav

hi, i have just moved in to a mobile with evcon model DGAT070BDA serial 931267314. The problem is that the motor runs non stop. the fan comes on only when it is time to heat, so when the home reaches the correct temp the furnace stops and the blower stops but the motor keeps going. im not sure what the problem is but i always turn it off when i leave or at night, i dont know if leaving it on is a hazzard or not. so the switch on the furnace does not have an auto on it, only fan/off/on. can someone please tell me what the problem could be and if i could do the fixing myself. thank you
hvac1000

Are you talking about the small booster motor. The motor is located on the front of the furnace? There is a booster motor on your unit according to the model number you posted. There is a relay that controls the booster motor. I would bet that since the motor is working that the relay is the cause of your problem. Below is the information you need to order a booster relay to fix your furnace.

Part number 8665-5701 BOOSTER MOTOR RELAY

Location http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanGas.html
Left side of page near bottom.
Easy to order just add to cart and check out.

Easy to install just write down which wire went where by the number on the old relay to the new. NOTE: There is a wiring diagram just in case you need it. It is located right below the part price.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
lindav

ok thats great, but im not too smart when it comes to the furnace, so my stupid question is, where is the booster motor relay located??
lindav

i know there is a diagram, but i cant read it too well, do i need to take off a cover to find it
hvac1000

lindav wrote:i know there is a diagram, but i cant read it too well, do i need to take off a cover to find it
Please read this. I would have your furnace checked. The cost should be for free for the heat exchanger repair.

Manufactured Housing Furnace
Inspection Program Safety Notice

Safety Bulletin

Models : Coleman, Coleman Evcon, & Red T Model numbers, DGAT070xxx (70,000btuh input) & DGAT075xxx (75,000btuh input) natural and propane, Manufactured Housing gas furnaces, manufactured during 1997, 1998, & 1999.

Based on several reported premature heat exchanger failures on the above listed furnaces in Alberta, Canada, the Alberta Canada Municipal Affairs, Safety Services Agency issued a January 30, 2002 Consumer Advisory, advising that furnaces installed in the Alberta province, be inspected and serviced by a qualified person. Furnaces involved were found to have heat exchanger cracking, burn through, and in extreme cases, furnace wrapper burn through.

These situations, if left unresolved, can lead to significant property damage, personal injury and/or death.

Since the publication of the Consumer Advisory, YORK has initiated extensive field and factory testing. In all cases, testing revealed that pre-mature heat exchanger cracking, burn-through and furnace wrapper burn through are not a result of furnace manufacturing quality, or design, but instead, a direct result of the following installation and/ or application related issues:

Furnace heat exchanger temperature rises that are significantly above the 45-75°F temperature rise data published on the DGAT furnace rating plate.

Restricted indoor blower airflow as a result of high external duct system and filter static pressures. Many installations with cracked heat exchangers were observed to have high static HEPA, or Electro-Static, after-market air filters installed. In addition, many furnaces with cracked heat exchangers were installed on very small, restricted ductwork. The small ductwork itself can be restrictive enough to cause the furnace to operate above its listed maximum static rating.

U.S. Manufactured Housing Manufacturer’s are required in new construction to have duct systems pass HUD duct design requirements, which state that the total duct external static pressure can not exceed 90% of the furnace nameplate external static pressure requirement. Canadian Manufactured Housing Manufacturers presently are not presently required to comply with this HUD-type requirement.

Older Manufactured Housing retrofits frequently have overly restrictive ductwork as well, and this installation condition must be addressed by the installation contractor.

Furnace input over-firing, based on manifold pressure settings and installation. Furnace inputs must always be de-rated by orifice change, for elevations above 2,000 ft. above sea level.
To assist technicians in the furnace inspection process, YORK has developed and distributed a detailed DGAT070 & DGAT075 service inspection sheet. This inspection sheet specifically guides the technician on heat exchanger inspection, as well as guides the technician on a step-by-step inspection of the three potential furnace installation problem areas listed above.

If a heat exchanger is found to be cracked, it is very important that an inspection of the installation be performed, BEFORE a heat exchanger or the furnace is replaced. Failure to do so, can lead to rapidly re-occurring heat exchanger failures, significant damage to property, personal injury, and/or death.

Mandatory furnace de-rating may be necessary to compensate for high altitude, or overly restrictive manufactured housing ductwork to allow furnaces to comply with published 45-75°F heat exchanger temperature rise data.

For more information Canadian consumers can contact our YORK Toronto Office at 1-800-668-2389. Consumers in the U.S. can contact the Coleman/Stylecrest Technical Service Group at 1-800-228-7896.

Link http://www.york.com/products/unitary/sa ... n_0802.asp
hvac1000

There is a metal box half way up from the floor in front of the furnace, you have to remove the exterior door first to see the box. The relay is in there. There is a on off switch on the side or top of the box. DO NOT USE THAT SWITCH.
TURN OFF THE ELECTRIC at the circuit breaker in your main circuit breaker panel before working on the unit.

Please have your furnace checked it could be dangerous to operate unless the warrenty repairs have been made that I addressed in the above post..
lindav

hi, well i have my new part, now the old one has 5 prongs, the colors coming out are 3 black 1 blue and 1 yellow, so i am a bit confused by the diagram as my new booser relay only has 4 prongs, can you help me out a bit to let me know what colors still have to be attached and what i do with the spare color. thanks
hvac1000

Have you had your heat exchanger checked yet? This is more important than the relay right now. They will replace the defective heat X for free. It is better that the unit not run until it is made safe. Sometimes they have to order the heat X so I would call them right away.
lindav

my furnace was put in in 1994 so i didnt think that pertained to me. can you let me know if it does, thanks
hvac1000

That is a good possibility I worry about CO poisoning so much. According to the serial number/model number since the last letter is a A yours might be older than the recall.

Did you look at this wiring diagram on this page below the relay?

Location http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanGas.html

Left side of page near bottom.
hvac1000

Just looked it up again. The Booster relay will have 4 prongs. The fan blower has 5 prongs.

You need to find the 4 prong booster relay not the 5 prong blower relay.Wire it exactly like the old one.

Here is the wiring diagram.

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/media/i ... 5-5701.pdf
hvac1000

I will try to find a pic of relay
hvac1000

hvac1000 wrote:I will try to find a pic of relay

Number 40 is booster relay
lindav

ok im thinking that the old booster relays used to have 5 prongs because the item says that it replaces part 8665-309, which is the 5 prong, looks exactly like the 4 prong, just one less prong. is that possible?
hvac1000

8665-309 this is 4 prong also. Where did you get it to be 5 prong?