Fan very noisy

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Morven

I have a Evcon-Coleman DGAT075BDD. Today all of a sudden the unit started to make a nasty grinding-fan-blades kind of noise.

Having turned off the circuit breakers and switches, I reached inside the fan housing and attempted to turn the fan - it was definitely 'dragging'. On investigating further, I found that the fan seemed to move in its bearings, and that I could move it to a position where it was not dragging.

It was definitely movement in the fan bearings; the fan mountings were solid and securely fastened.

I started it up again and it's not making the noise again, for now.

I'm guessing that this means my blower fan motor's bearings are shot and the fan motor needs to be replaced. Am I right? Which part do I need? Are there installation instructions anywhere?

Thanks in advance,

-Matt
Robert

Hi,

Do you have a/c also or just heat only ? This will decide motor.

This article should help:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article ... lower.html

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Morven

I have AC also. Installed sometime later than original build, but I doubt that matters.
Robert

Hi,

Does the blower housing have a model number on it ? If not, can you remove motor and see if it has a P/N on it ?

This will help verify a match of same motor and save some time.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Robert

Hi,

Blower Motor # 7966-311P @ $109.78 + $12 shipping .

It can be seen and ordered here:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanGas.html

Scroll down left side to locate, click on pic for enlarged view.

If interested, please add to cart and order through PayPal or

call toll free to 1-877-263-7860 and charge to Visa or Mastercard.

Thanks.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Morven

Well, serves me right for not taking the damn thing out to verify what was wrong at first, but I just now did.

Yes, the motor mount wasn't moving when I could move the fan - but that was because it was so broken that it was hardly holding the motor at all. The strap around the motor has separated.

I can't quite work out which of the two mountings you sell is the one I need. My motor is 5" in diameter and the distance between the centers of the mounting holes is about 10.25 inches (smack in the middle of the two you have!)

Am I right that I need replacement rubber bushings etc. ?
Robert

Hi Matt,

Let me finish with another customer and I'll look it up and see what is needed and available.

Is it just the rubber bushings shot or the whole band starpping mount ?

If the motor was making that noise and had that type movement, you will need to check the wheel and motor shaft.

With motor/wheel removed, place wheel back on shaft and see if it spins freely several rotations w/o stopping.

Look at wheel for wobbles.

Thanks,
Robert
Morven

The metal strap is broken around the motor.

The wheel will definitely spin freely. I have not yet checked for wobbles, and will do so tonight.

I can see that it's likely that if the strap broke, it's because of imbalance in the motor, shaft or wheel, so I can see why to check.

-Matt