Awful loud squealing squeaking noise

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

lopezfamilymail

We bought a manufactured home a couple years ago. The home is 7 years old.

Last year we heard the loud beeping sound. We had someone look at it and they found no problem. They just showed us how to reset it.

Since the repair guy left, it continued to do this. We got tired of reseting it so we just left the alarm off. Many of our neighbors had the same exact issue and have also just left the alarm off.

Now the past couple days we have been hearing a loud squeaking squealing noise coming from the roof top.

I called a repair guy and he told me it's the attic fan (It's a deluxe blend air II). He says he's been to our neighborhood (we all have modular/manufactured homes), and has seen this problem and they can't do anything about it and maybe I should call an electrician.

We talked to several neighbors and they've all had the same problem with the squeaking (in fact, we've heard the noise coming from a few of the neighbors houses before, too.) Most of them have just disconnected the attic fan.

My questions are:

#1. What is causing the squealing/squeaking?
#2. How do you repair it?
#3. Is it a defect (since it's occuring in a whole neighborhood of homes)
#4. Is leaving it disconnected hazardous?

PLEASE answer soon. I can't find any answers to these questions and I have spent hours calling around and searching the Internet. Thanks in advance!

T. Lopez
Robert

Hi,

Try these steps or have a Tech do it:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ArticleBlendAir.html

This should help pinpoint the problem.

These units do fail from time to time and often it is due to roof problems, not always the unit itself.

Leaving them disconnected can lead to mold and mildew issues from condensation build up in attic area.

We also sell any needed parts for these units.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
lopezfamilymail

Thank you!
lopezfamilymail

Robert wrote:Hi,

Try these steps or have a Tech do it:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ArticleBlendAir.html

This should help pinpoint the problem.

These units do fail from time to time and often it is due to roof problems, not always the unit itself.

Leaving them disconnected can lead to mold and mildew issues from condensation build up in attic area.

We also sell any needed parts for these units.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Robert, if I could bother you once more...

As for leaving it disconnected - we don't actually have an attic. This is a one level ranch style modular/manufactured home. So is the attic fan truly needed in this case? Will we still have mold/mildew issues if we,

#1 Have no attic.
#2 Often get fresh air in the house via open windows.

Also, if we troubleshoot the attic fan problem (which has now become more of a buzzing than a squealing/squeaking), and need to order parts, we would like to disconnect it while we wait for the parts to be delivered. The noise is keeping us up at night and probably annoying neighbors.

So, how do we disconnect the attic fan? My husband tried turn things off in the box on the furnace, we tried turning the air conditioner off - but that thing still makes noise all on it's own. Does he have to disconnect something up in the actual attic fan on the roof? If he does this, is there a wire or something that he needs to "cap" or tape up in some way to avoid damage to the unit or to avoid fire hazard, etc??

Thanks so much for sharing your expertise on this. I have this forum bookmarked. I haven't found any other place on the internet specifically for "mobile (modular/manufactured) home repair". These things can be so quirky - it's nice to have a place to turn.
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome. The area between the ceiling and roof is not actually an attic, but called that as a way to describe where I'm talking about.

That absorbs excessive heat through roof and then cools at night.

The fan removes the heat during summer and moisture in air during winter.

Without it, mold and mildew can form. Insurance companies often will void coverage if a home has one and it is not used.

On some, you will have a box at furnace with a switch to turn off.

Otherwise, you'll have to go on roof, remove the flue cap and then disconnect the plug.

You can then wrap plug in tape or leave open for short time while waiting on parts.

Will post a link to parts in a few here in this thread.

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanBlendAir.html

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
lopezfamilymail

Robert wrote:Hi,

You're very welcome. The area between the ceiling and roof is not actually an attic, but called that as a way to describe where I'm talking about.

That absorbs excessive heat through roof and then cools at night.

The fan removes the heat during summer and moisture in air during winter.

Without it, mold and mildew can form. Insurance companies often will void coverage if a home has one and it is not used.

On some, you will have a box at furnace with a switch to turn off.

Otherwise, you'll have to go on roof, remove the flue cap and then disconnect the plug.

You can then wrap plug in tape or leave open for short time while waiting on parts.

Will post a link to parts in a few here in this thread.

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanBlendAir.html

Thanks,
Robert
You're fantastic! Thanks so much. God bless.
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome and thank you for those kind words.

Take care and God Bless,
Robert