Settling??

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bkbunny

My MH has been sitting here for 7 years now. It is on cinder blocks. I am wondering how long does it take for a MH to "settle"?

I also would like to know how often you should check that it is level

Thanks for answers
Greg

It all depends on the ground under the home, if you are on rock it may never settle, clay on the other hand... There are tell tale signs such as doors & windows that just don't open or close right among others.
Remember that you cannot check for level with a bubble level. it is best to use a water level and check it on the frame from under the home. this is covered in Mark's book avalable here on the site. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Greg is correct about what type of land you are on...

When we bought our singlewide, included with the set up fee was a free re level at the one year anniversary of the home.

If your doors and windows are binding, then there is a good chance your home is out of level.

If any of your future upgrades includes floor repairs, roof etc, you should get your home releveled before the project begins.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi bk

Upper Peninsula, Michigan sure is beautiful.

Signs your home is not level:

- doors sticking
- bulging skirting
- warped siding
- windows not working
- uneven floors
- floors squeaking
- doors swing closed by themselves

Also do you know if you are having frost heave problems? If you are having frost heave problems your MH may not have been installed properly. To prevent frost heave holes are dug beneath the cinder blocks and filled with gravel or concrete. The holes should be dug beyond the frost line so that freezing moisture does not lift the MH. Frost heave is just one of many installation issues which can lead to an unlevel MH.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
bkbunny

Thanks to all for their input. Harry you are right it is beautiful up here, moved up here 20 years ago, originally from the Detroit area.
Wouldn't move anywheres else. :D

I am glad to say I can answer no to all the if this or if that moves jingles or jiggles,, :lol:

I am good ole Mchigan RED CLAY ,,,,,,,,,, need a pick axe to plant a tulip bulb up here lol,,,,,

well once again thanks for the input

I do intend to be replacing hallway flooring and kitchen vinyl need spring