Not your typical table talk...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LisaBoyer

This is a delicate question, and I hope not too offensive.

Can we change our toilets to a larger size? Not the toilet itself, but the plumbing, appears to be smaller then average and it is causing some...problems. Lets just say we keep a plunger handy.

I haven't crawled underneath or asked a plumber this question yet, but hoped someone here could answer my query....has anyone replaced the plumbing for a toilet to a larger size in a mobile home?
Greg S

Yes you can.
The standard size toilet drain pipe is 3". If yours is already 3" then your problem may be inadequate venting or poorly configured plumbing.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

Standard size toilets will fit fine, Just check the drain location distance from the wall to get an idea of where it will sit.

Check the plumbing If you are having a flush problem.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Brooksie

We replaced our commode to a new American Standard that advertised it can flush 6-8 golf balls at once. It also has a water saving technique. It is powerful. But we already had the 3" pipe... So, if this is your problem and you have a 3" pipe try shopping at Lowe or somewhere similar that carries American Standard or any commode that will flush golf balls...
gtpvette

Funny you should mention this. When we bought our trailer it had been vacant for some time. Needless to say the toilets were very dirty and frankly built for someone much smaller. My wife insisted that new ones be installed the first weekend there. I installed two of these,,,, they came with everything (seat & wax ring) and not all do.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... reId=10051
ponch37300

Lots of things to check. Find out what size your toilet drains are now. Are they slopped right? Is it vented right and the vent not blocked? If those are fine it may be the toilet. I replaced both of ours a few years ago. One flushed great, has never clogged once. The other one which is a different brand/model has plugged a bunch of times. The old toilet didn't plug, the only reason we changed it was the wifey wanted a new one. I took the toilet off a few times to check things out but never found any problems, the toilet just doesn't flush good. So it may be your toilet if the plumbing is right.