Patio cover replacement panels

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

feeeeline

One of the reasons I'm fond of this little MH is a nice deck, and a patio cover over it.

Unfortunately, the panels look to me as though they're no where near slanted enough to shed snow or even leaves very well. This idea is born out in the fact that many of the panels are damaged, and a few were even torn off during a storm (before I acquired the place).

For the most part, other than not having a steep enough pitch (to my untrained eye), and having damaged and missing panels, the channels that support the panels seem quite solid.

Is it possible to just replace the panels? How in heavens name do I find who manufactured the cover, so that I can see if I can get replacements? What I'd like to do is simply move the channel that attaches to the home up a bit to steepen the pitch, and use longer panels of something other than aluminum.

I hate to tear it down, but if it's a choice between tearing it down and replacing it entirely, I'd most likely get rid of it. :(

I'd suppose the panels are the most expensive part.. Is it possible to adapt a less expensive panel made of something else to the job? As long as it's strong enough do it, I can't see what the difference might be.

Anyone have any experience with this? It would be a shame to get rid of it.
Lisa: I didn't know you cared about ballet.
Marge: Lisa, have I ever shown you my shattered dreams box?
Lisa: No.
Marge: It's upstairs in my disappointment closet.
Greg

Can you post a few pictures? Is it possible that it was built by one of the companies that does sun rooms & windows?

You may be able to use a corrugated plastic/fiberglass panel from any home center.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

If this is an aluminum kit awning, you can measure the gap in the gutter that receives the ends of the awning panels, the height of the corrugation. This is usually 2 1/2" to 3 1/2". This tells you the height of corrugation you need in your new panels. As long as this height is the same, any manufacturer's aluminum awning pans should fit and work fine. I have replaced awning pans many times over the years and rarely found awning pans that exactly match those of my current suppliers.

Snow load and wind factors are the most important things to think about with aluminum awning pans. There are thicker stronger pans made for these areas. In my part of California, wind damage is rare and snow is non-existent, so I don't work with upgraded awnings much.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
feeeeline

To give you an idea what sort of a mess I have. If worse comes to worse, there is a place near by that I can take it for scrap. (But I'd rather have the patio cover!)
Greg

That could be a tough one without doing some redesign work. It looks to me like it's at least 8' of clear span with no support.

Regular Fiberglass & steel panels would fold up with that span of no support. I'm not sure if Ondura panels would hold or not, but I would bet against it. They look to me like a fabricated porch roof system from a specialty company (possibly a door & window). You may want to get the yellow pages out and make a few calls.

Perhaps JD has a few ideas.

Greg
1987Commodore

Agreed, that doesn't look like it was engineered for your snow load. It looks like the basic frame is ok, but I agree that you probably want more pitch. It appears you do have space to raise the wall channel. It looks like you need more cross bracing at a minimum, maybe a couple of doubled 2x8's running crosswise, with verticals at each end down to the deck -- if the deck is solid?
I was fortunate enough to find a used Silvertop brand patio cover for my place, and having it does make the patio much nicer, but at least you have some trees for shade.
Greg

I just did a quick check from a few Mobile home parts suppliers and it looks like they have a carport/patio cover that looks about the same.

Greg
JD
Site Admin

That is your standard aluminum awning. It looks like you have 3 inch "W" pans. You can check the 3" thickness by measuring the 'hanger', which is the C shaped piece that is screwed to the house. Moving the hanger up to increase pitch would help the awning. Be sure that all screws/bolts you use to put up the hanger go into studs and not just siding.

You can get new panels from the Michigan company listed below. They are in Livonia. There could be other aluminum awning manufacturers closer to you. But the supplier listed would certainly know the gauge of pan you need for snow load in your area.

Here is their website.
http://awningsmichigan.com/index.php?op ... 8&Itemid=8

Here is their location info.

Wayne Craft
13525 Wayne Rd.
Livonia, MI 48150

Phone 734-421-8800
Fax 734-421-8828

Email [email protected]
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
feeeeline

Thanks, everyone!

I've not made a firm decision, given the information, whether or not the patio cover goes. As 1987Com mentioned, I do have the trees for shade, and I'm trying to be practical. The money from the scrap price might buy me a bit of flooring for the interior... tough decision. :/
Greg

Possibly take it down, save the good panels, scrap the bad and put it back up with new panels when $$ allows. Or if possible make a smaller covered area.

Greg
JD
Site Admin

Those are excellent panels and it looks nice from underneath. The bottom would be flat instead of a bunch of W's. But they are a lot more expensive per SF. The W pans will be cheaper. Also, this web site is quoting Awning Kits, with headers, hangers, posts, etc. I am sure they would give you a price for pans only as well. I have bought from them a few times in the past.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!