Replacing furnace / adding AC

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

jhow

Replacing my Trane BEV 15KW electric furnace (23 years old) and adding a/c.
I received a quote for a Coleman EB15 15KW furnace/air handler w/ a36 coil with a Goodman GSH13 2 1/2 ton heat pump installed for $4K (seems high to me but it does include the electric work and pad)

I have a couple of questions:
Do Colemans break as often as your forum suggests (of course no one ever posts to say their furnace is working:).
I really, really don't like the idea of condensate dripping on the toaster - does that happen very often with these units?
From a Google search people seem to be very passionate (very good or very bad) on Goodman so I won't ask.

Would I be better off with a package unit?

Thanks, James (I love this forum, by the way)
hvac1000

Package units are nice. They are quiet as compared to the standard set up.

Why are you getting a new Coleman furnace and not a Coleman A/C. Just curious.
You will find that all units are only as good as the care taken to install them correctly. No matter what the name they will all fail if the instillation instructions are not followed especially the A/C which should have nitrogen flowing during line brazing and a triple vac pulled before charging. In the A/C section of the system extra care needs to be taken to prevent contaminates from being left in the system. The nitrogen prevents scaling of the inside of the copper during brazing. Most installers will not know what you are talking about if you ask about the nitrogen thing and that just goes to prove that most people in the HVAC trade are lacking in both knowledge and skills. Around here we call those class of HVAC folks ((Slap and Clobber)) because of there workmanship.

I would always get at least two estimates before you make a decission.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
jhow

Actually I did not specify the Coleman or the Goodman. I just asked for their best opinion. Does seem strange to me now that you mention it. Don't know if they were shooting for their lowest cost or mine. Getting another quote Wednesday.

If you know anyone in the 28152/28150 area let me know.

Thanks
jhow

Got another quote that I am a bit happier with:
Carrier 25HBA330 Heat Pump (BASE model) 13 seer
Mortex BMH5515C electric furnace
Installed $3531
From one of the oldest / best known HVAC's in town. The other guy I had never heard of but seemed knowledgable.

Anyone ever hear of "Mortex"? The contractor is calling it a Nordyne and it looks like a Nordyne (visited their website). It actually says "Nordyne Electric Furnace" on my quote but unless two manufacturers have the exact same model #s it is a Mortex.

Can't seem to get away from the water above the fan thing but I guess that's the joy of mobile homes.

Oddly enough they claim that a package unit would cost more to install. Seems strange to me. If I was a few years younger/stupider (and not quite so terrified of Black Widows) I would take a run at that myself.
hvac1000

Mortex,Summit,Sun Therm, are all owned by the same corporation (Summit Manufacturing, Inc.). They are located in Texas. Doug Hayes Mortex Sales Manger has been very helpful by supplying some materials for our charity work through the church here. Good products and good prople make a great company.

Mortex makes many of the coils sold by other manufactures especially in the mobile home market. They just private label them for other companys.

If I were redoing my home I would use there products not only because of loyality but because of there quality.
hvac1000

For more information on your new equiptment.

http://www.mortex.us/images/pdf/Mortex_ ... n_AirH.pdf
jhow

Just an update: Went with the Carrier/Mortex combo. Installed in a day. They did do the nitrogen thing. Very cold. Instant heat (my old Trane did not warm up for several minutes). 56 degree register air. 45 percent humidity. Set at 77 it is cycling 3 times an hour with outside temp at 93.
They demonstrated the heat strips working with the two stage blower - very nice.
The inspector made them install a float switch on the drain pan. Thought it was a P in the A at the time but now it seems like a good idea - one less thing to worry about going wrong (looks easy to disable in an emergency too)

Thanks for your help. James.