Whistling faucet

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

NancyKay

My kitchen faucet "whistles" high pitch noise, mostly only with hot water. I can't stand washing the dishes, and this whistling on and on....It's not all the time, but 80% of the time. And if you bump it, or move it to just the right spot, it will stop. Rarely happens with the cold water. It's a single handle faucet, left is hot, swing it to the right is cold. Is this air in the lines? how did it get there? or maybe I just need a new faucet? It's a 1971 single wide, I bought it 4 years ago. It started whistling last year.
NancyKay
MacAttack

If I recall, this is harmonic vibration - the faucet is actually vibrating, from the particular amount of water flowing through it. That's why it goes away if you turn the handle one way or another from the point at which it makes sound. I'd guess a new faucet would fix it, but I'm really curious to hear what the plumbing experts have to say! Would a new faucet washer fix it?
Greg

It almost sounds to me like something on the inside of the faucet has come loose, I just can't think of what it may be. By the time you find & buy parts for it I think you may be better off with a new faucet. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

Hi NancyKay,

Try cleaning out the screen to the faucet first. Sometimes enough gunk gets behind there that it starts to whine a bit.

All of my faucets whine to one point or the other. In my case, it will take replacing the old galvanized supply pipes. Changing faucets out hasn't helped.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
NancyKay

I think I may just go with a new faucet anyway. I could use an updated more decorative one. Hopefully that will be a simple fix. Hopefully!
NancyKay
kashton

I had a whistle in my old faucet when it was loose and getting air in the line. Got a new faucet, made sure everything was tight, ran it until all air was out.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!