roofing issues

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Hey everyone......i have an older trailer my parents gave me (with aluminum siding) that was kinda in the process of being overhauled inside....so, I have re-did alot of the interior and am almost finished with it (yayay). However, I really hate how the outside looks. Someone who owned it 18 years ago built a frame house over half of it with a pretty sloped roof and shingles and all. So.....if you look at it from one side it looks great....but if you look at it from the other side it don't look so great because it looks like half a trailer is sticking out a house(which it is, lol). My question is what I can do to make it look good. I have thought about doing a roof over on the trailer part with half trusses while matching the other roof. Then, i was going to place siding over that but I ran into the problem of having to build more support for the siding as well.... Then, recently i have thought about just taking and nailing siding right over the aluminum and then putting a roof over with 4x4's....but I hate the fact that you would see the 4x4 u know?.....ugh....what would be the better way to do this? The walls are 2x3's and 2x2's so i wouldn't want to put the weight on there.....any ideas....i just want this to look like a house u know?
Harry

Hi

It sounds like one-of-a-kind for sure.

Can you send a photo? Might help generate some ideas.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

I agree with Harry, a picture of this roof would be great before anyone gives suggestions on how to add onto it.

LOL, as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!

Agreed...i will post one....i can't seem to find one handy right now so i'm gonna have to get the digi when I have some light tomorrow or the next day and will be back with a pic!