Power Washer

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LabFolk

I was planning on using a power washer to clean my roof before I recoat it but I just read the recent discussion on using one on siding and thought I better check to see what the experts here think about it. I've got a lot of experience using it on decks and different projects and plan on using a medium pressure tip. Thanks for your input.
LabFolk
JD
Site Admin

I think that would be a good way to clean off a rolled galvanized roof, provided you do not spray areas where you may have a leak. You will have to be careful of dirt streaks running down the side of the home. You don't want them to dry and stain the siding. To do the job right, you would probably still have to mechanically remove old sealant build up.

JMO

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
JD
Site Admin

On my above post, there probably are roofs that are in bad enough shape where a pressure washer would not be good. If there is heavy rust, or current roof leaks, I would not use one.

When we recoat a roof, we only do the roof edges (j-channel to about 4" of the roof edge), vents and ridge cap if there are any. We do not use a pressure washer for this job. We use a grinder, broom to sweep up the grindings and solvent on a rag to wipe the buffed area. I have used a pressure washer on rubber roofs and they work great for that.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Maureen

Hi Guys, here's my take on power washers.

They are wonderful on certain areas of homes. When it comes to manufactured and mobile homes, it really depends on your home, and how much experience you have with a power washer.

Even though we all own mobile/manufactured homes, all of our homes our different! Areas are different, owners have different abilities, set ups are different.... and the list goes on.

Power washing a roof before re-coating, I'd have to be up on the roof to see how well the vents are sealed. What might make the roof job easier, might make for a nightmare flooring repair down the road.

Water is the number one enemy of our homes...

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'