Roof Coating

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LabFolk

Just found this forum and can't believe all the information that is available here. I recently bought an older mobile home that I knew had roof problems when I bought it since some of the ceiling tiles have water spots on them. The roof has some areas that I'm sure water sits in after a good rain and looks like they were probably caused by the former owner walking around on it. The first thing I want to do is coat the roof and I'm wondering if anyone here has used liquid rubber/roof. I called the company and they said liquid roof is for RVs and liquid rubber is for mobile homes that are stationary. Everything I read sounds real good but I'm concerned that the warranty for liquid rubber is only 2 years and some of the other products like Kool Seal offer up to a 10 year warranty and don't cost nearly as much. The sales person said that even though the warranty is only 2 years it will actually last for "years and years".

Thanks for any information you have.
LabFolk
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site!

I am sure JD will see this post and respond, we consider him our roofing expert.

In the meantime feel free to check out all the other links and hopefully create a profile.

Look forward to your future contributions.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Hi Labfolk,

I have used Liquid Roof on mobile homes and it is an excellent product. I don't really understand the RV/MH distinction in there product. It is just TPO rubber in liquid form. I have switched products though. I now use Conklin Benchmark. It is also much more expensive than the elastomerics, but it less than the Liquid Roof product now that I am a "dealer". If anyone does try this finew product, please buy it through me at www.conklin.com I will have to figure out how to do that though. I signed up so I could get my product cheaper.

Regardless of warranties printed on the cans, there is a very significant difference between the rubber/Conklin product and the elastomerics that sell for $50 per 5 gal bucket. I think the Conklin runs $275 plus shipping. The difference in quality keeps me from using the elastomeric on any job.

And I also like the Conklin product not needing to be mixed with a catalyst like the Liquid Rubber/Roof products. That was a bit of a pain. Never really knew if it was mixed enough.

JD

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.