Moldy smell

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

I had a leak in a pipe over the winter under the bathroom cupboard. This is an area that I never look at so it must have been dripping slowly for a while before I noticed it. Now I can smell a musty odor in the bathroom. Can not seem to get rid of it and it is getting into the towels and stuff in the cupboards above. Any suggestions???
Thanks
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Are you meaning the cupboard under the bathroom sink, or a wall mounted cupboard.

Either or, since you said you had a plumbing leak then chances are good that the effected area is still wet and rotting. This will require removal of all wet or previously wet areas. Removal of insulation if present and letting the wood joist or studs dry out. Then rebuilding of the area.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi Islander

Prince Edward Island ...what a neat place to live. I'd like to see a couple of photos.

A fan for a couple of days might help dry the cupboard out. This will help the smell and help determine what needs to be repaired/replaced. Wet particleboard turns to mush and usually needs to be replaced.

Harry
Last edited by Harry on Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

Yanita is correct on this one, but I would also get a fan going to get the air moving and help dry the area. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

If the leak was in your vanity cabinet, the smell could be coming from the floor beneath the shelf on the bottom of the cabinet. Inspecting the area from underneath would be a good idea too.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.