Mold/mildew on ceiling

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

stillworking

The home is a 1996 Cavalier 14x60 I've owned for about four years. Just recently on the ceiling of one bedroom located at the east end, there is what appears to be mold or mildew along the north side and in places on the east side of the ceiling. Upon very close inspection, I can see extremely faint water staining on about the upper two feet of the wall panels. The ceiling has no staining or circling that would be associated with a roof leak. I examined the roof and see no obvious signs of failure. We have had much more rain than normal this year, some of it torrential with driving force winds. Do you think it possible that rain was driven in from the outside through the interlocking metal panels? Should I take down a wall panel (something I've never done) and look behind it? It is interesting that there is absolutely no signs of mold/mildew in any other places and no musty smell. I will add that this home has been a rental and the renters did not inform me of this condition until their scheduled move-out (unrelated to this issue). Could they have done something in this room to cause this? Sincere thanks for thoughts on this.
Sylvia

I think the water stain gives it away. There has to be some kind of inlet for the water by the roofline. It could be the rain was so forceful it pushed in at the top of the siding and under the roofline. Mold and mildew are nothing to mess with. I would explore and find out what's going on and remedy the situation asap.
stillworking

Thank you, Sylvia. I'm inclined to think the same about the rain; however, if that were the cause, I find it puzzling that the wall staining is confined to only that one room. Perhaps the outside panels in that area have worked loose, although I think I would have noticed. I'll go over and check again. I totally agree that this has to be taken care of. About the last thing a landlord wants to hear is the M word and I can't even think of re-renting until this is resolved. I might add that the lady who occupied this bedroom was terminally ill and various pieces of medical equipment were in use there, including at one time home dialysis. (She died in the hospital.)
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

Without a profile on your home I have no idea what it has for siding and a roof. Also what type of gutters does your home have.

You can still have what we call roof leaks without having staining on the ceilings. Water can penetrate from the gutters and run down the exterior walls. Once the insulation is wet it will remain so and cause the staining on the top portion of the walls.

I doubt that any medical equipment would cause this staining.

As you know mold and mildew will need to be addressed, and before this can happen you will need to find the source of the leak.

If you could either fill out a profile on this home or answer the questions we will better be able to help you.

Look forward to your future post.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
masswood

Hello, is it possible that the ill lady used a vaporizer? that would explain its presence in that particular area. Just a thought.

Joe
stillworking

Joe, interesting idea. As I said, it seems strange to me that everything is confined to only that room. The mold/mildew stops exactly at the inside wall. In the adjoining room (bath) the ceiling and walls are perfect, as is the closet in the affected room. I have decided to take down a wall panel tomorrow and see what is behind. If anyone has any tips on doing that, they would be appreciated. I will also get a better description of the home and post that information, as was previously suggested.
Maureen

Hi Stillworking,

Like Yanita mentioned, it's really hard for us to answer questions, without particulars on the home, and what part of the world you're from.

But, two things perked up my ears... lot's of driving rain and this room is located in the North East section of the home.

Not sure if this home has a peaked roof,vaulted ceilings asphalt shingles or a metal roof, but, if your roof vents have leaks, this could be the culprit. They could produce slight leaks as you mentioned. This could lead to mold.

Another guess might be mature trees in that area of the home. If that area of the roof gets no sunlight, and the canopy hangs over this area, that can deteriorate a roof quickly.

The more information we have, the better we can address the problem. Otherwise, we're just guessing. We need details. All of our homes are very different. The general local of the home is very important! It's all in the details and location of the home. No home is the same at all!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
stillworking

For those still interested, here's an update on the mold/mildew. I took down the worst wall panel (which was under the worst mildew/mold on the ceiling). There was no water staining on the back of the panel and everything behind it was powder dry with absolutely no black anything. The insulation looked like it was installed yesterday, the wood was totally dry and the back of the exterior siding was dry. So at this point I think Joe nailed it. I recall being told that the lady who occupied the bedroom was always cold regardless of the temp. Perhaps some combination of space heater (forbidden) and air conditioning, or as Joe said, a vaporizer. I'll do some research on how to best clean the ceiling and repaint. I believe there is a spray paint for this type of problem. So.......thanks to all of you who responded, and in the future I will be sure and post more details when I have a question.