moulding gaps

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

momof8

I have white moulding all around the ceiling throughout our mobile home. There are gaps everywhere and with the white it really stands out and looks aweful.
Would you use caulk to fill in the gaps and if so what is the best kind to use in a mobile home?
Jim from Canada

Latex caulking...It can be painted. Actually, trim should be mitered where it meets in a straight stretch to avoid just this problem.

Jim
momof8

the miter cuts are awful. there are gaps everywhere. I thought at least with caulk the gaps could be filled where they wouldn't show so bad but wasn't sure which kind of caulk would be best.
Lorne

I had this trouble too.
I used interior latex caulk EVERYWHERE I saw a joint. I'm on my 4th tube, but so far anywhere you look everything looks like is is one piece instead of one piece partially connected to another. It is slightly elastic and completely paintable.
Remember to wet a finger and smooth it out, then everything will blend.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.

I have been a painter for almost 10 years. We caulk everything where there is a crack or gap or not. We do it for 3 reasons 1 is obvious to fill the crack. Reason 2 is because you can get a much nicer straighter cut in line and reason 3 is especially in exterior applications water cant penetrate in there. I have found the best Type of caulk is Phenoseal It is on the pricey side 4+ dollars a tube but worth it because when u do a lot of caulking after a while it starts to dry on your finger then it will start to flake off and make little balls in your caulk. The Phenoseal is the best for not doing that. Plus is great for bathrooms because it is mildew resistant and is sooooooooooo much easier to work with than silicone. and when it gets moldy and black just spray X 14 on it and it goes away.
Maureen

Hi momof8,

I have one question, when was the last time your home was releveled?

When ever I see large gaps any where in our homes, that's what I think of first.

Our homes really depend on the structure of the home. That starts with the set up, level and the under belly.

Caulk will only cover the cracks for so long, if the home isn't set up correctly and level.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
momof8

We just got it. the home is going on 9 years old. I am not sure it has ever been releveled. I guess we need to check it out.
Yanita

Hi,

To help determine if your home needs re leveling check these few things. Do all doors, interior and exterior remain open when put in that position.On the exterior doors do the locks line up. Do all of your windows open and close smoothly, no binding.

If you answered yes to both these questions then you might not need to be re leveled.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!