How to replace underbelly

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

laurann

I know this topic has been discussed many times, however I cannot find the instructions how Mark or the other professionals recommend replacing the underbelly insulation on a mobile home. Could someone refer me to where I can find this? Thanks
Greg

According to Mark's bible (the book he wrote) If the underbelly is bad, replace it in sections with new underbelly material.

It may be easier and cheaper in the long run to go with insulation behind the skirting. If you can get a good tight fit it may be even better than the underbelly insulation. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
blwfly

i am also doing this but im going in a different direction from what i can see the the underbelly acts like a perfect home for rats animals etc to walk on and make nests..
so im taking a general construction aproach by putting viscaline down on the ground as the vapour barrier and attaching the insulation to the joyce's. just my 2c

chris.
laurann

I don't recommend stapling the insulation to the floor joists, it is completely ineffective in a mobile home, the insulation must float under the floor supported by the belly tarp creating a vapor barrier of warm air in between otherwise you might as well not bother. Please read Mark's book on this subject.
Greg

Chris, Laurann is right on the money. Since the heat ducts & plumbing is usually attached UNDER the joists by attaching insulation to the joists the plumbing and heat ducts are not protected. Mobiles use heat from the ducts to keep the pipes warm in cold weather. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."