Setting a thermostat anticipator

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

archive

I have recently moved into an older mobile home with a Coleman 7680A Furnace in it. Cooling is provided by an external package unit with a T-stat while the Heating is provided by the Coleman and another T-Stat. I have recently moved the anticipator to .35 or so in order to stop the short cycling of the furnace. Now the problem that I have is that the temperature is set to 65 degrees, yet the temperature of the t-stat states 61 or 62... The heater does not come on.

If I move the temperature gauge to 66 or 67 degrees it comes on but for only about 5 minutes. The AC T-Stat states that it is 62 degrees in the home and is located on a wall directly across from the Furnace T-Stat... Does the T-Stat probably need to be replaced? Also we have trouble with some of the heating portion of the mobile home. It will heat up in my room but the other side of the house is still very cold. What can be done to help make the home more balanced when it comes to heating?

Krelek
archive

You have to have a special meter to set the heat anticipator correctly. The anticipator has to take into account the gas valve and associated length and resistance of the thermostat wire. If not set correctly you will have problems just like you are having now. You may consider a replacement thermostat BUT I will also ad that the thermometer sections of heating thermostats are notorious for not being accurate (especially older thermostats). They are just a reference and not designed for true accuracy. The new digital ones are much better but are difficult to hook up to a older mobile home wiring system.

If this is an older home as you state uneven temperatures are normal since the duct work setup is not the best. It would cost a fortune to replace the duct to make it work correctly and heat every room correctly so I suggest a small fan to force the heat into the room that is the coldest. This will help with the balance problem you mentioned.

hvac1000