stupidest idea ever!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Groo

I don't know how common this is in the mobile home industry, but what I found when taking out some rotting floor reallt blew my mind.

to build the home, they first built the floor, with crapeting, then put the exterior walls, then interior walls. I don't really have a problem with that. what I couldn't believe is that they ran the 70's shag carpet to the outer edge of the floor, then put the walls on top. this caused a leak in the siding to wick its way in, and hold the moisture. end result, it caused way more damage than it should have, a soft spot near the door spread to a ruined rim joist and damaged floor edge running over 15'. all that just to avoid buying a tack strip. :x even after the old carpet was cut out and replaced, the "spounge" was still under the walls, causing more damage.

does this type of thing still go on?
GraceNC

Yep! That carpet is a sponge! But remove it and your wall will sink 1/2"....got to shim up the wall if you remove the flooring hidden underneath.
MsFixIt

I understand that when you build a home, you want it to your liking. However, one would think that most people building a home would think logically. What I've always been told by my Uncle was "structure first. decorative second." I can't even imagine the odor that rug must have produced during construction. ACK! O_O
Greg S

It's all to do with the process of building affordable homes in a factory in a cost efficient manner. Building a entire floor then laying all flooring materials without having to work around walls, cabinets, etc saves a great deal of money in labour. Very fast, very efficient and the end result looks good. Unfortunately quality and affordable do not necessarily go hand in hand.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

You have to remember that that is a pre HUD home. That is the reason that HUD called for & mandated standards. There were many builders that exceeded the standards, but there were also those that did not. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."