Repairs Worth It?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

straysweeper

I have two family members that both live in mobile homes.

Both have significant problems. And was wondering if there is a rule of thumb to use, in repairing, or getting something else done?

First Home>
Needs New Outside Insulation and Siding. Due to Termite damage. Hell, Porbably needs insulation on roof and floors too, as the power bills are astronomical, 200+ on a single wide during the peak months. As well as critters using the floor bays as homes.

HVAC ducking integrity is probably ruined in more areas than one. And the blower or condenser unit is faulty.

The kitchen is hardly functional in IMO. And could use a good redo.

The roof has few holes. & There are plumbing and electrical issues.

Second Trailer is probably worse off, in the inner ceilling needs repair throughout. Floors are ruined, with pathetic attempts at repairs made, Rotted flooring in back part of the trailer, carpets are trash. And plumbing problems as well. HVAC had a smoking burnout during the winter but the A/C unit is working fine so far. Repairman said unit could be used sparingly but wanted to replace the whole thing. Which probably wouldn't hurt.

Insulation is also a problem, as Air constantly runs.

Back 1/4 of house probably needs to be gutted and refloored/walled, including full bathroom restore.

And thats just the problems, little own the few improvements that could be done to be helpful.

Oh and in case you can't tell, I'm biased against trailers for the most part. :) Mainly cause I've stayed in both of these, and they are both inefficient older units, in terms of both layout and energy.

Given everything that needs to be done, I wonder if its worth it to repair, even if its to sell them later?

Or if taking on the project of finding/buying or building a home would be better?
Brenda (OH)

are used homes available to be moved in your area?

if there are busy park owners of large parks that already are buying up everything newer on the banks repo lists that need to be moved, and are on the short list of who gets called first at the mobile home dealers, you would be facing to have to buy from a home owners, and those homes usually are well used in my area....

if there is a supply of decent repo homes from the banks or from dealers, then go get some prices, find out what are the regulations for installing a home in your exact area (township, county and state laws apply) and see if there are a lot of costs involved. My state only allows state certified mobile home installers to install tie downs, vapor barriers etc. the pad has an inspection it has to pass before the move etc.

if you are in a less regulated area, any experienced installer will do......

right now, with out knowing moving costs, installation costs, inspection costs, home costs, and home availability, there is no way to know if repairing a home is "better" than getting another one.

I actually had a friend call last night to discuss her options for putting a used mobile home on land vs building a pole barn home. I know she has 4 kids, and wants more kids, a mobile home is not ideal for her, she likes a lot of the benefits of slab homes, she adds insulation to every home she lives in, she hated mice and bugs, she likes to move walls in homes... in other words, I told her I thought a mobile home was too fragile and not able to be updated for her.
It was a very interesting discussion that I enjoyed a lot. We especially had a laugh when I told her... you need to be able to pour more slab, take down the back wall, add a bathroom and 2 more bedrooms, when you get to having more kids... She said no, she will build more out building for them to have a play houses lol. put there toys out there lol.

Brenda (OH)
Greg

Hi & welcome. I use the simple "Money" formula. Add the costs all up, plus the initial cost of the home and weigh it against the cost of a home that is in 100% condition. Don't forget to add delivery & set up to a different home if you are thinking about moving one in.

I suspect that unless the home is a total basket case, I will be cheaper to do a total renovation unless you have to hire out the work. Remember that now is the time to do things right. Upgrade the electric, windows & doors, and plumbing.

Don't forget to relevel the home BEFORE you start rebuilding, otherwise every thing you do will be off.

Renovations take time, I spent 6 months on our daughter's so don't forget to factor that in also. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
GraceNC

You have to define your goal- do you want to live there to save $ on house/interest fees from 30 yr mortgage/taxes/ hiring repair people?
Or are you going to rent them out?
Resell them?

Like Greg said, you have to add up ALL the costs, and just like stick built homes, most go over budget.
I chose to renovate a '67 hole in the wall. I've spent nearly $30,000 and have custom kitchen, woodwork that you find in upscale homes, and landscaping that rivals that of a botanical garden. I have expensive tastes! But if this were a stick built home it would cost well upwards to half a million dollars-for my area. But because this is small square footage and a factory built home- I can do all the renovations myself saving on contractors. Plus, the tax man leaves me alone....I laugh at my tax bill compared to my neighbors. So for me, single gal, this has been a worthwile project since this is my home. And although I have another $20,000 to go to complete my bathroom, in the long run I would have saved 3/4 million dollars (cost of house, finance charges, taxes, etc). I'm 40 years old and have no mortgage!
Groo

is the land owned?

if so, just buld a house. that way you investment will be more likely to apreciate, and less likely to depreciate.

you could always use the floor joists and frame I beams to get yourself well under way toward building the new house.

I am really on the edge of doing that myself.
GraceNC

My goal is to AVOID paying anything to anyone...and a stick built house would mean the TAX COLLECTOR would have his hands in my pocket constantly. For me, it's so I won't have to spend X amount on a house and then in reality pay 3x as much because mortgages are nothing but interest payments for years and years.

Groo, I consider this a house. I removed ALL osb board and it's now plywood. I have tin and coffered ceilings. I removed anything that made it look like a mobile home and replaced it with stick built home parts/items. Only from the outside does it look like a 'trailer' and I keep it that way so people won't rob me! All my acerage is behind me so from the road I look poor.
Greg S

As a comparison I am in the middle of a complete reno on a old 12' X 65' that required all of the same things the two homes your are dealing with require. I am doing all of the work myself, inside and out, including replacing furnace (used $900.) floors, all new water lines in and out, windows (used $600), bathroom, walls (drywall), kitchen, roofing, siding, skirting, doors etc.
I am not going beyond the level of the quality of the home aside from the fact that I am using all regular home materials. Final cost will be in the $15,000 to $20,000 range hopefully but keep in mind $0 labour costs.
Depending on where you are $20,000 could buy a fairly good quality used home with a lot less work. Where I am it would cost $40,000 to $60,000.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
DCDiva

I say go for a total redo--gut everything--we did and I will post a few photos soon as we are in the process---it was much easier to replace everything than to work around things--we replaced all the floor from joices/insulation/flooring(@400), all new windows($200),insulation in walls and ceilings/total new bath(@700 for all new),new plumbing/water lines/drywall(@220) electric all( @700) we did most of the work--I have 2 people that work with us some times at 7 an hour for harder jobs--so right now I have @4000 in the home--look for my post for photos
Melissa
laurann

Groo, just wondering how you build a house from a using a mobile home frame or axle.
Groo

the frame is 2 nice long I beams to hold up a roof, and the floor joists could be rafters

It would be a start. Actually in my case, I was considering doing that for a big garage, but I think I'll be better off fixing up the house. now if only can get a dry weekend to finish ripping out my wall!

I am keeping my eyes pealed for another freebie trailer to be used for building suplies.