leaking window

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

palasport

One of my vinyl windows (it is a KINRO brand window) is leaking water after it rains,the leak appears to be leaking at the bottom fuzzy cloth and vinyl seal on the outside,I am not sure what this seal is called or how to replace it,or if it can be replaced? in fact I dont even know how to remove the window,the mobile home is dbl wide year 2003,any help will be appreciated,thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brenda (OH)

could you get a photo of the outside of the whole window, including some of the wall?

I would suspect you have water flowing down the wall and getting into the window from outside, where some of the sealant has a gap....

the fix would be, see where the water is coming from (leak in gutter/drip channel? junk in the gutter or drip channel?) fix the gutter/drip channel.

add caulk around the exterior of the window

watch in the rain, if water comes down the side of the home above the window

if fixing the gutter doesn't help, add a diverter (it can be as simple as get 8 inch flashing, bend it lenghtwise, almost 90 degrees, and install it up at the top of the wall) if the water doesn't go flow down the window, it cannot seep into the window....

better folks will answer in time, I hope this gets you started on your investigations lol

Brenda (OH)
palasport

Updating my above photo and situation, I have water tested window on the top by pouring water on top frame,and none entered the questioned area at the bottom were the window sits in the frame, I then poured water with the window shut again,this time the water was poured at the base of the window on the outside were the pile weatherstrip is (fin seal) I then waited and rechecked for water infiltration,and the area the windows sits in had water in it,I then looked at the fin seal and seen it was severly degraded,this is were i believe the water is entering,now all I need to do is remove the vinyl window from the frame,and find a glass repair shop that can replace I am assuming all the seals since it is a double pane window,does anyone know if this practice is done and what the price range usually is? the window size is 44 1/2W X 29 1/2H I have included updated pics as requested,the fin seal view is a pic from the ground up viewing the bottom of the window that seals at the base of the frame,the degraded and torn white is a vinyl seal inide the pile weather strip thanks for any help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

I think for now, until you can locate a glass shop I would get some clear silicone sealer on it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Rod

Most of the vinyl windows today have weep holes in the bottom track. Open the window and look in the bottom track, you are looking for 2 small holes in the bottom plate of the track. These holes allow any water that enters the track to flow to the outside. Sometimes they can get clogged from dirt, insects etc. If you can find the weep holes try blowing some air through them. If you have an air compressor that would work best.

This may or maybe the source of your problem but atleast any water entering the bottom of the window will drain out.

Good luck
Rod
palasport

I did as Brenda and Rod suggested,and checked for the weep hole and found that the weep hole was actually caulked shut with clear silicone,i cleared the silicone out and shot water into hole with a hypodermic needle (for refilling ink cartridges) and the water ran outside, and down the siding so I am assuming we may have located the problem thank-you for taking the time and being so understanding about my predicament. And if worst comes to worst,I will get some temporary caulking,and seal the window at the base of the window on the outside,that way it would be removable if need be god forbid. thanks once again.