hole under water heater

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cr8ivrose

Another question! When we removed the gas water heater to repair the floor there is a round metal dish with a hole with a shaft going straight down through the floor, not sure why the hole? Is it because of the pilot light? and is that hole supposed to be attached to something under the trailer?

Thanks,
rose
MikeVila

Are you talking about the pressure relief valve??
cr8ivrose

No, this is under the water heater, it is a seperate piece that the heater sits on and if you look down into it it goes through the floor to the under side of the trailer. (if the water heater is not on top of it)

thanks,
Rose
Greg

It could be an air intake for the gas unit. You should also have a small (about an inch) hole for the pressure "pop off" valve line. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Rod

Sounds like you have a sealed combustion water heater.

It is an intake for combustion air and needs to be put back in place when you repair the floor. Otherwise you will be robbing oxygen from inside your home. It does not hook up to anything underneath.

As Greg said make sure you T&P valve has a line that goes down under your home as well, and not just into your floor cavity.

Also a good time to add a shut off to the cold supply line to the
tank

Good Luck

Rod
TonyPa

Sounds like a pan. I saw them tonight at Lowes. It is a round pan, with a hole on the side, or bottom. Like a big cake pan, but about 26 inches round. Right?
Thats in case of a leak.
cr8ivrose

Thanks for all the help, there is a hole that the pipe for the pressure relief that goes through the floor. The metal disk that the water heater sits on has the hole with a pipe about 5-6" wide. Is there a way to tell if it is a sealed combustion water heater? All I know is the brand is Rheem and the date on it is 2002.

Thanks a lot for all the help, this site has been wonderful!
cr8ivrose

I did find this info on sealed combustion water heaters.

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/homes/hip-combustion.html

Rose
Greg

Any gas or oil fired water heater with a Mobile Home rating must use outside air for combustion. This would require some type of duct to supply fresh air. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Since this is a gas water heater and you are uncertain of the parts, then it seems this would be the time to call a licensed plumber in and get this properly installed after you repair the floor.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!