Would low humidity cause drywall cracking?.....Hmmmm

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

oldfart

Well folks I've been quite vocal about my drywall cracks in my 12X70s.w. and after pondering things a while...I got to wondering. How much would low humidity in a home effect the drywall?? Now I know during the curing stage excess heat and dry weather can combine to crack the mud joints. I'm long past the point of drying the mud. But I've got a humidy guage in my home and I've never seen it rise above 40% even when it's raining outside. Matter of fact it usually stays right between 21% and 27% every day. Even when The Weather Channel says it's 59% humidity outside..as today. And something else I've noticed..my wood is shrinking. Yeah..seriously! All that nicely applied wood trim around the walls, doors, windows..etc. All those nice neat mitered corners are seperating. So carefully fitted, primed and painted. Arrrgh! Not a lot but I can see a little seperation line where there was pristine perfect joints. If the wood is drying out..could the drywall joints also be doing the same. Hmmm....inquireing minds want to know. Audie..the Oldfart..
flcruising

Everything you see happening is a prime examply of low humidity. I would say either open a window to help balance it out, or get yourself a humidifier.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
blbrade1

i would have to agree wood and mud does shrink as it dries the only way to try adn help slow the processs is by the use of a humidifier, this will ad some moisture to the air and help prevent any further drying and cracking but before doing so one could apply a skim coat over the mud and fill gaps in trim with some caulk that matches the paint
Carpenters Rule!!!!!!