Does this roofing estimate sound reasonable???

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

betty_joanne

I have a 28x76 doublewide with eves(sp?). Because of hurricane Ike we need a new roof. Problem is so does everyone else and i have only been able to get one company out to give an estimate. They say that they can do the roof in one day and get it done on Monday.

Does $5757 sound reasonable for a completely new roof with white o.c. three tab 20 year shingles?

I just don't have time to go in circles with other companies because everytime it rains the roof leaks more in about 6 places.

Oops, sorry, forgot to put that we are near houston, tx
JD
Site Admin

Typically in my area, roofers are getting $2.50 a square foot (they call it $250 a Square, 10'x10') for tear off, disposal and installation of new comp shingle roof. They will usually also charge another $40 to $60 a sheet for sheathing that needs to be replaced.

Your price is just under the $2.50 a SF. Roofers charge by the amount of shingles ordered, including starter shingles, ridge cap and waste. I figure your roof needs 23.66 Square (10'x10')

It might be a good idea to get a price on 35YR shingles and actual formed ridge cap. It really shouldn't add much to the estimate and the extra money you pay stays on your roof. The installation price should be the same.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
LenTC

Had 3 estimates on my 28X70 that ranged as high as 15,000+ earlier this spring.
Held off on it and finally had another estimate last week for $5600, which includes complete tear off, ice and water shield, the edge trim and 30 yr. GAF Timberlines. Called the bank today for the loan.

I think yours is a decent estimate if it includes a complete tear off and not just a re-shingle over the old ones.