ac duct needs replacing

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

stephie2

I have a 24 x 56 mobile home with independent ac unit heat & air controlled off of 2 thermostats. My duct work coming out of the ac goes under the home and close to the center to a round pipe protruding down under the home and then one from the floor back out to the ac located just inside the wall next to the ac unit. It is a round black plastic with wire and insulation. Is there a better ducting you can get? My light bill is $375.00 and it is running constant. The sun eats the duct work up from the unit to where it goes under the house and if you try to pull it up or raise it off the ground to prevent it from lying on the damp cold ground so it wont rot or become punctured and risk water getting in,it sags elsewhere. I thought about using concrete blocks with plywood place on top along the route to keep it off the ground. any suggestions
Robert

Hi,

You can all hard metal ducting with insulation wrap.

You can use two 45* ells, a straight extension to get it under the home and then the two 45's with flex stretched tight between.

You can have a plenum (3 sided sheet metal) to cover it until it gets under home.

It should never sag, kink or get torn.

Also, has unit been cleaned and serviced recently ?

If you have a gas furnace inside home for heat, do you have close off dampers, one under the furnace and one where supply duct connects to center of home duct trunkline ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?