ac not cooling house

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

spartan

Hi I have a payne split unit and it was working fine.I've had 3 techs tell me everything is ok and the air coming out of the unit is 57 degrees but it wont cool the house lower than 80 degrees.the house is 900 square ft and the unit is a 2 1/2 ton.I've crawled in the attic and there does not seem to be any ducts losing a significant amount of air.Could the blower motor not be going full speed?Are there multiple speed blowers? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Robert

Hi,

Has it been cooling fine and just stopped working good or have you just started using for first time ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
spartan

I just started using it this season.About the last 3 weeks.Thanks
Robert

Hi,

By your saying you crawled in the attic, I assume this is not a manufactured home ?

We are a manufactured home business and don't have any parts data on Payne units, so can't help there.

Motor may be moving to slow, usually you can upgrade to 2 or 3 speed motors.

My concern is 900 sq. ft and 2 1/2 tons, unit is pushing being too big which would keep it from running long enough cycles.

Now, if it runs all day, then there is a problem somewhere.

Ducts should lose zero airflow.

May be a home insulation, window and doors problem as well.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
spartan

It's not a manufactured home but I was hoping the principle is the same.The unit will run all day and not cool the house.I'm going crazy here the unit was installed roughly 4 years ago and it would turn the house into a freezer.Now not so much.If the furnace has a 2 or 3 speed motor how would I test to see if it's hitting the higher soeeds? Thanks
Robert

Hi,

Principal is same, but lots of differences in units and how they are designed.

Look at wiring diagram/schematic or diagram on motor to see what wires are what speeds.

Have you noticed a airflow difference since cooling reduced ?

Could be any one of the previous things I mentioned.

IF it no longer cools as before and only cools home to 80*, something is wrong somewhere, need a qualified Tech toresolve this.

Make sure all is clean first, then get good airflow, then have charge checked.

Thanks,
Robert
spartan

Thanks for the info.I removed the squirell cage and cleaned it already but I need to check the motor and wiring I guess.
Robert

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert