Water coming from ac

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Big_Kyle

Yesterday I noticed that the carpet all around my ac was wet, I opened it up and couldn't see where was coming from. The drain pan was empty and I poured water in it just to make sure it drained which it did. Any idea what else I could try or any clue what might be the problem?
Robert

Drain pan leaking, overflowing,drain line clogged or condesate being blown off the coils.

Fill pan 1/4 full and watch it closely with unit off and door removed.

Did you go outside to end of drain line and see if it is actually draining all the way ?

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Big_Kyle

Well last night I pulled on the tubing that goes into the flooring and it came right out. I didn't know if it was supposed to do this or not. Where is the drain line outside usually located? Do I need to get underneath the house to see it?

Thanks for the help.
Robert

It should run close to the refrigerant lines down through, underbelly and then turn and run out close to outside condenser unit.

You should not be able to pull it back out of floor.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
jwise002

What Robert told you is correct. However sometimes the drain line ends just under the trailer. Many times a poor installer just puts on the plastic hose that comes with the kit. This often results in insulation getting ruined mold and mildew under the trailer. (not to mention mud) This may also contribute to floor rot if the crawl space is not well ventilated.
while repairing your leaking drain pan youn should correct any drain problems while you are at it. - John
Robert

Best to wait and let the poster say what he has or doesn't have before giving info that may not be needed.

I try not to put the cart before the horse.

If he looks for what I stated and it isn't there, he will post back and say so and then we can get into possibilities from bad installs, etc... .

Thanks,
Robert
Big_Kyle

Ok I had someone come look at it last night. Turns out it just needed to be clean so instead of the water going through the screen where the coils are it was going down outside the drain pan. When I moved in they had a filter on top of the inside unit and I thought it was just an "extra" so I used it the next time I needed to replace the filter. Turns out that's where my problem started because it sucked up all the dust inside there. Anyway I just wanted to explain what went wrong just in case someone else ever gets a problem like this.

Thanks for the responses and the help.

**edit**oh I forgot to mention, the person I had come out looked at the tubing and said that some a/c people just make the tube go straight down which is why when I pulled on it, it just came straight out.
Robert

Hi,

Thanks for update. That is what I referred to by condensate being blown off coil .

Yes, some are installed that way and others are installed correctly, but loosely and easily pulled apart.

I let the poster tell me what they have instead of guessing at it , because you'll end up with a lot of unneeded info that can get confusing.

It should be turned out with a 90 ell and run out by condenser.

Should be 3/4" pvc or cpvc.

Also, if it is an electric furnace and a-coil is installed above the blower, should have a trap in drainline as close to drainpipe as possible.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert