Can I install a "normal" bathtub?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kharndt

Hi,

I have a 1997 Nashua with a styrofoam tub that I'd like to replace. It seems to be a standard size - 30" x 60". What do I need to consider when replacing?

1. In reading this GREAT forum, I'm deducing that there may be plumbing under the tub, is that right?

2. If so, plumbing would need to be moved to the belly, correct?

3. Can I drop in a regular tub (assuming there is no plumbing beneath the tub or the plumbing is moved)?

4. Any issues to consider that are unique to manufactured homes?

5. Why aren't normal tubs installed in the first place. Is there an issue with the floor?

If all I have to do is drop in a new tub, I'll do it myself -- I have intermediate DIY skills.

Thanks for any help!!

Karen
steve

30 x 60 ???? piece of cake
Only plumbing will be the drain which you will have to reconnect
The surround will have to come off to do the job so you will need to disconnect tub/shower valve escution or complete valve depending on style you have
nwwoman

Our replace is of a 27x54 tub with a 30x54 tub. Dimension-wise, I thought it would be fine. I went from a plastic tub to a steel/enameled one. Now I wish I'd bought a fiberglass. But, oh well.

I anticipated that the drain on the new would easily match up with the drain on the old. I did predict that maybe there would be some left/right shifting of the p-trap but no biggee.

Instead, the problem we have faced (drainwise) is that the tub drain is one inch closer to the wall than the drain in the old tub. The space for plumbing is very tight. I never thought losing one-inch of anything would be such a problem.

The other problem we had was that the walls outside of the bath alcove were just slightly thicker than the alcove. So, when we went to slide the tub in, it would not budge because it was being pinned by those outside-the-tub-area walls. We cut the walls. It went in.

Our former surround was an issue too. But given the age of your home that might not be a problem for you.

Good luck!
----------------
1980 Rex Mftg Home; metal ext / roof; bowed roof; 2 bdrm; 1.5 bath., single wide; 14X60