Rectangular panel outside under each window?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

I have the typical mobile home storm/screen windows and underneath each one outside there is a large, rectangular wood panel with trim molding in the center.
There is nothing solid behind these panels, just the studs and some old insulation. Why they just didn't continue the vinyl siding across under the windows I'll never know. The only thing holding one of them together is a thick coat of old paint the previous owner applied many years ago.What a hack he was.

My discovery:

While painting a corner bedroom, when I got to the window I leaned against the base of the wall and it PUSHED AWAY FROM THE FLOOR.
If I had weighed 300 lbs I would have ended up on the lawn.

Come to find out the sole plate was rotted out and the vertical stud that supports the left side of the window was just hanging there like a man missing a leg.

I want to have 3 REAL single hung widows installed any way so this clinches it. I'll do the stud repair from the inside after pulling off the inside paneling.

I stapled 6mil Mylar over the panel outside until I get a new window and letting the inside dry out.

Ain't mobile homes fun?

maybe those panels were for air conditioners to be installed under the windows. God only knows.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Maureen

Hi Lorne,

I have to ask, are you sure that the vinyl siding is original? I only ask because the 80's were during the time we went from metal to wood like siding and then into vinyl. When I say 'we' I mean us lucky mobile home owners!

You may be absolutely correct as to the vinyl siding. I have these huge 5' x 5' windows in my living room. I have 4 of them! All of them have these small little windows underneath. I've already decided that these aren't needed at all! When we install new windows, I think I'll be removing that area and reframing. I will install new insulation and doing the job the correct way.

It's on my mega to do list, one of these days!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Harry

Hi Lorne

The next component I would inspect would be the rim joist.

Rot may have gotten to it as well.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Lorne

Ah yes, the rim joist.
It is rotted out under the window area, so it has to be replaced. They are basically going to take the wall apart and rebuild it, plus install a "Real" window.

As for the vinyl siding he thinks it was originally T-111, but why would they replace that with vinyl and NO vapor barrier or Sheathing?

It must have been one of those Gypsy outfits. I see staples in some spots holding the vinyl. We will see.

As soon as we save some more money the other 2 windows will go too. They are in good condition.

Got to get back to work plastering these walls. Darn grooves.

See ya.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.