Does anyone know if this exists and where?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

busybee1952

I must keep a light bulb burning in my wellhouse in the winter and what I want is some sort of alarm that will go off if the bulb burns out. Does such a thing exist or does anyone know how I could rig something like that up?
RGS

Well there's possibly 2 ways to do it. Either something that senses current draw or something that senses the light. I would think that a light sensor might be easier like maybe just using a nightlite with that sensor on the front and mounting it near the light. If the light burns out it could trigger an alarm instead of it's own light. It's just my thoughts that is if I was trying to make something.
Greg

I am going to assume that the bulb is to keep the pipes from freezing, If so yhere are tempeture alarms that you can buy. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Brenda (OH)

how about 2 lights? my ceiling light never has both light bulbs fail the same day...

if something freezes, could a heat tape be placed on that part?

Brenda
busybee1952

A temperature alarm might work. I can't put heat tapes on the well pump or pressure tank and last year the pressure tank exploded from freezing and the well pump cracked. Cost me over $350.00 to replace them both not to mention the pipes. I need something in there to let me know if that bulb burns out. I have added 6" of insulation but there has to be a source of heat in there too and a lightbulb would be enough. But, I need to know if it burns out.
Greg

Mark has a freeze alarm avalable here on the site in the plumbing parts section. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
chasMB

We used 2 light bulbs in series in the pump house for years (I still need to do that here) It reduces the current draw of both bulbs, Both bulbs will produce about half the heat. The pair of bulbs in the place in East Texas had been there for 10 years burning from October to March.