New tub

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Denise

I want to replace my garden tub with a real tub. No shower needed, just a nice tub I can lay in. Who does this kind of work ? I don't know where to start.
Harry

Hi Denise

Have you tried "Mobilehome Repair" or "Handyman" in the Yellow Pages? Also MH dealers might give you some leads.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?

Hi , I just put in a regular tub from home depot.It turned out to be ton of work. I put in a one piece tub so It made it a lot more work .The floor under was completely trashed. I have some pictures in my profile. I wanted to make my spare room bigger so I took down those walls to get get tub in.I have finished puting in tub now and am starting to put house back together.If the floor would have been okay it wouldn't have been to bad. I used copper to do the valve and tied to old poly using Sharkbite fitting's that can be soldered to coppper then just pop in the plastic pipe.I found out my dryer vented under the tub in the belly and that made for some nasty mold. It took about 2 1/2 days till I had a working tub.I will put more photo's when I actually get the walls back up and new floors down. We had a home depot moving so they had a great sale at the old store before they moved.I will only have one wall left with paneling in the house when its done. Total cost will be about 1700.00 with new floors and walls.Thats just material cost . I did all the work myself. The bathroom cost was about 800.00 for materials.$460.00 for tub and handles , 90.00 for subfloor , 30 .00 for vinyle floor , 20.00 for glue, 18.00 for glue remover (I made a mess ), 35.00 for sheetrock , 50.00 for nails for nail guns,30.00 for 2X4's . 25.00 for paint , 45.00 for piping and map gas , and fittings to connect.
JD
Site Admin

Hi Denise,

Filling out a profile (which has been a bit tricky as of late) would help. If we knew where you are located, someone may have a contractor recommendation for you. If you live near Fresno, CA, I can bid the job. Other than that, as Harry said, let your fingers do the walking to Mobile Homes/Repair and Parts.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Hi,

Another thing to consider is the type of tub, should you get a jacuzzi or other jetted tub, this will require a designated circuit.

Also if you notice your tub probably does not have an overflow in it, a traditional tub will so plumbing alterations there as well.

Take a good look around your bathroom, will a larger tub interfere with there are currently outlets or switches, if so these will need to be moved as well.

Removing a tub/shower and reinstalling another sounds easy, and can be done, BUT, it is alot of work and generally people find other repairs that need attention as well.

The above post gave a reasonable price list on materials, but that is all subject to the area you live and the items you select.

Also, if unfamiliar with electrical you can add in the cost of permits and inspections if you install a jetted tub.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!

Hello , good point about the overflow and new drain locations . That part was the biggest pain. It was alot easier because I had to rip the floor apart so I completed the piping change with no floor . And was really carefull to get a really good idea where the drain was going to go . I did this by running drain to close to new location , placed tub in postion and made , marks where new drain was then installed final floor and cut out square hole under drain . I came pretty close so it wasnt to bad . I had some movement left and right in piping so I didnt have to get exact..If I had to do this from underneath it would have been big pain. Axels for wheels are right below bathroom tub . Still gonna be fun redoing membrane I cut out to get rid of moldy insulation. If you are skinny might not be that bad. I am not anymore.
Yanita

Hi,

Glad we could help.

If further info from either poster is need please feel free for each of you to start another thread.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!