Electrical Problem....

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Hi, Everyone!

I haven't been on here for awhile. We've been busy turning our mobile home into our palace...3 more rooms to go and then we'll be done until son and hubby come up with something else to rip apart!

We are having a problem that I hope someone can help us with...

We have a circuit breaker that keeps tripping and hubby can't figure out where to look for the problem (we moved from a site built home to our mobile home and the wiring is totally different here...it's a double wide).

The problem is in my daughter's bedroom, the livingroom, and the stairway to the basement...it's basically the front 1/4 of the house. Hubby tried replacing the breaker with one that he knows works but the breaker is still tripping. He's really good working with electricity but this one has him stumped. He's been pulling out switches, outlets, and light fixtures and systematically trying to eliminate the problem but can't find anything to cause the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem before? Is there some place else he should look that he's overlooked or is there something that he hasn't thought of given that this is a mobile home?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hope all is well with everyone too! :D
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome back.

Check your GFCI outlets, one might be tripped. Sometimes you have one outside or underneath the home as well.

Please do not take this personally, it is a rule of the site, but limited info is given on electrical and gas repairs. Both of these repairs can cause harm/death to yourself without proper knowledge.

Yanita

PS, will respond to your email shortly.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
altasnowman

hi ,
first i would disconnect line from breaker and use a meter to see if i have continuity in lines, cause it sounds like you have a nail,staple or screw through line if that is the case you can use a stud finder it locate the short altho this will take a lot of time. only other thing i can suggest is to remove any paneling or drywall that you may have just installed and look to see if you may have caught the wiring with a screw. just my observation.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
RGS

Hi,

I agree with altas, sounds like a nail or screw may be shorting the wires out. Either that or you're missing something on that circuit like maybe an outside outlet is shorted. I had my heat tape develope a short once on my outside outlet and it kept tripping the breaker. Luckily my breaker panel was near my window and I saw an orange flash outside the window everytime I tried to turn it back on.

Also you say is doublewide, I don't know much about them but i've heard mentioned on here several times that there is a connector under the home between halves. Maybe someone else who knows will chime in. And as always with this sort of thing be VERY careful!
Greg

Our standard notation.
IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS IN YOUR ABILITY OR YOU HAVE THE SLIGHTEST FEAR CALL AN ELECTRICIAN, IT IS NOT WORTH YOUR LIFE AND OR HOME TO SAVE A FEW BUCKS. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."