Bug Spraying

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Willow

Yay... I got logged in finally! :lol:

Is it necessary to spray for bugs under a mobile home as a precaution?

I am "anti-pesticide" and if seasonal spraying is required, I will have to do some research for natural solutions.

Is there a common pest that typically infests... such as ants or the dreaded roach?
Yanita

Hi,

Personally I do not think our homes are anymore prone to bug infestations than the typical stick built.

When I do pest control I always have under the home around the outside of the home and the interior done all at the same time.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!

As long as you keep the belly area clear of clutter and have no moisture problems, you shouldn't have to spray beneath the home. Once in a great while I will spray the perimeter with Ortho Home Defense, which works well. I had a problem with earwigs and centipedes when I first moved into my MH, but I traced it to some damp wood that the previous owner had stored under there. The skirting was also not vented properly and moisture would linger, prompting more earwigs. Once I cleared out everything and removed their habitat and source of food, the problem was solved. Adding ventilation to the skirting helped also. Now I've found that spiders seem to love hanging out in the top rail of my skirting, which is fine by me since they are the best natural insect deterrent you could have. Luckily, they seem content to stay outside, so they must be eating well.
Yanita

Just a word of caution when using bug sprays or bombs...read the instructions, many of these are flammable, if you have a gas stove with an open pilot or a gas furnace/wh make sure to follow all safety precautions.

Yanita

PS, there is nothing under my home, LOL, I like to keep it that way.
dandjbarrett

I'm extremely sensitive to insecticides, so inside my home I put bay leaves EVERYWHERE. Roaches, weevils and several other insects HATE bay leaves, so I stick them in the backs of drawers, in a little spice bag in my pantry, on top of my cabinets and anywhere else I can find. They are not toxic to pets or people and it is amazing how they keep the bad things away. Lavender is a deterrent to some insects as well, so I keep a sprig or two of it in my walkin closet and in decorative baskets in the bedrooms an lr. My home smells wonderful and is pest free. I also spray a little lemon or orange oil in any crack or crevice and it keeps ants, sandfleas, etc. from coming in.
Yanita

Hi,

Fresh mint is also a deterrent.

Yanita
dandjbarrett

^^ I'd forgotten about the mint. I should probably plant a pot or two in the yard. If memory serves once it starts growing well it is hard to control in a flower bed, but if I pot it I may be able to keep it from taking over. I love the nice clean smell of it. I'd read somewhere that eucalyptus oil is a good anti-bug product, but for me the odor is a little overpowering, so I'm sticking with the basil. Down here near the coast we have those wonderfully huge flying palmetto bugs that are big enough to carry off small children. :lol: They totalllllllly creep me out, so anything that keeps them at bay is a good thing to me. :D
Yanita

Yes, mint is very invasive.

I plant it in pots next to the steps, it grows huge, so when you come up the stairs you brush against it and smells great! Even though you pot it, every now and again check the bottom of the pot for roots growing out, trim accordingly.

Yanita